Author Topic: British indian 2 go butter chicken recipe  (Read 18198 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: British indian 2 go butter chicken recipe
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2013, 07:12 PM »
So Mick, is there an actual difference between these two things apart from one is more watery than the other? Otherwise you could just use a larger amount of one or the other, rather than both.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2013, 07:24 AM »
No difference

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2013, 10:08 AM »
HI

Going to have a go at making this but one question...375g tomato puree....thats a lot of tomato as well as the passata.  Does this work naga??

regards

Barry

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2013, 03:18 PM »
It definitely works, Barry. That was my first thought about the quantity of tomatoes, between the double concentrated puree, passata and ketchup, and why I only made a small batch. But I can really recommend it - it's delicious!

Remember that I added 400ml of Zaal base gravy to the final butter chicken sauce. I did this because Mick says he likes it with a little base gravy and some extra chilli. The quantities I have listed will give you approx 3 double portions once the base gravy is added.

Do give it a go - it's just as good as Mick said it would be! :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2013, 04:24 PM »
HI

Going to have a go at making this but one question...375g tomato puree....thats a lot of tomato as well as the passata.  Does this work naga??

regards

Barry

Hi Mate

I was a little concerned too when i saw Raj (our tandoori chef) putting all that tomato stuff into the pan, I thought he was off his head. And upon my first tasting, i thought and commented that it was like spicy tomato soup...........well it is kinda like that, but very more-ish. You just have to try it and see for yourself.

i quite like the idea of adding some cinnamon as somebody suggested, and also adding more coriander than cumin as suggested by Rich. I will try this on the next batch and let you know of any differences.

We cooked a batch yesterday, and i mentioned to raj that a lot of butter chickens have a wonderful smokey flavour. He took a piece of hot charcaol from the tandoor, placed in it a ss dish, poured on some ghee and sat it floating on top of the mixture then put the lid on for about 20 minutes. I think it made a small difference. Sometimes they will add cardamoms or cloves or cinnamon to the charcoal and it does impart a nice subtle flavour.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2013, 05:52 PM »
He took a piece of hot charcaol from the tandoor, placed in it a ss dish, poured on some ghee and sat it floating on top of the mixture then put the lid on for about 20 minutes. I think it made a small difference. Sometimes they will add cardamoms or cloves or cinnamon to the charcoal and it does impart a nice subtle flavour.

It's called a dhungar - the traditional way to smoke food.

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 03:26 PM »
OK folks

I made up a new batch of this yesterday. I added more coriander powder than cumin, and I also added about 10 Indian bay leaves and 8 good sized sticks of cassia bark. (Each piece was about 4 -5 inches in length)

Didi it impove it? ............YES :)

It was a little heavy on the cinnamon, so next time I'll halve the quantity. i took the cinnamon and bay leaves out before adding the butter and sugar etc.  Then i also added 2 tsps of home made garam masala.

We all tasted it at the shop and agreed that apart from the cinnamon being a little too heavy, it was a big improvement on an already very nice dish.

I'll let you know how the next one turns out. 8)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 12:47 PM »
Hi Mick any more news on the recipe with the new additions.
Cheers.
I am doing a few bases as i type this so thought i would give your recipe a go.

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2013, 12:59 PM »
OK folks

I made up a new batch of this yesterday. I added more coriander powder than cumin, and I also added about 10 Indian bay leaves and 8 good sized sticks of cassia bark. (Each piece was about 4 -5 inches in length)

Didi it impove it? ............YES :)

It was a little heavy on the cinnamon, so next time I'll halve the quantity. i took the cinnamon and bay leaves out before adding the butter and sugar etc.  Then i also added 2 tsps of home made garam masala.

We all tasted it at the shop and agreed that apart from the cinnamon being a little too heavy, it was a big improvement on an already very nice dish.

I'll let you know how the next one turns out. 8)

Always more coriander powder Mick like i said before the cinnamon i would half - with too much cinnamon it makes the dish taste a little like its got washing up liquid in if you get what i mean. Dont forget to trickle melted butter over the top it makes a massive difference in presentation - and a few toasted sliced almonds to really top it off

best, Rich

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2013, 10:59 PM »
He took a piece of hot charcaol from the tandoor, placed in it a ss dish, poured on some ghee and sat it floating on top of the mixture then put the lid on for about 20 minutes. I think it made a small difference. Sometimes they will add cardamoms or cloves or cinnamon to the charcoal and it does impart a nice subtle flavour.

It's called a dhungar - the traditional way to smoke food.

Read somewhere that you can take an scooped out onion aswell, place the charcoal in that and proceed as mentioned above. Will try that someday.

Many people like to add a few cloves and cardamoms to their Makhani gravies, too.

©2024 Curry Recipes