Author Topic: THE GLASGOW CURRIES  (Read 39393 times)

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
THE GLASGOW CURRIES
« on: February 10, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Hi everyone,

I finally got round to making a video of me cooking up some stuff....all with freshly cooked chicken tikka:
Do Piaza, Chasni & Dil Cognac (the one with brandy and grapes - not my normal thing to be honest!)
I hope you can see how easy it is and, for the doubters, that it doesn't produce an oil slick)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbpkUugjLyg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_Z78AT5Ddw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddKa2pRxdiY

I hope you enjoy it, and if you've already made it and found it too oily, please try again properly (kidding!)

Regards,

Martin

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: THE GLASGOW CURRIES
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Hi everyone,

I finally got round to making a video of me cooking up some stuff....all with freshly cooked chicken tikka:
Do Piaza, Chasni & Dil Cognac (the one with brandy and grapes - not my normal thing to be honest!)
I hope you can see how easy it is and, for the doubters, that it doesn't produce an oil slick)

I hope you enjoy it, and if you've already made it and found it too oily, please try again properly (kidding!)

Regards,

Martin

Dont forget Martin, that the people that weren't happy with the amount of oil were all referring to the original recipe which, from Boabys own admittance, was a complete guess and had way too much oil even for himself.

Frank.  ;)

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 08:22 AM »
Frank,

For the record I used 800ml in the 5kg base to get the base used here. It tastes very similar to the base used in my own local here in Shrewsbury... I think they add a bit of coriander and maybe lemon juice too - must find out

Martin

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:17 AM »
For the record I used 800ml in the 5kg base to get the base used here

So you used only about 56% of the oil specified in BB1's original recipe then?

Seems to me that your comments on "oil slicks" and about "found it too oily" and "try again properly" are totally invalid then (as well as being more than a little antagonistic!)?

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:36 AM »
For the record I used 800ml in the 5kg base to get the base used here

So you used only about 56% of the oil specified in BB1's original recipe then?

Seems to me that your comments on "oil slicks" and about "found it too oily" and "try again properly" are totally invalid then (as well as being more than a little antagonistic!)?

Seems to me that you have no sense of humour. I was very specific about what recipe I used and I even used the last word of the first post here "kidding" deliberately at the end to make it very clear...sorry it wasn't clear enough for you. Also, the debate about the oil rumbled on after the recipe was amended so I think my comment is actually valid, although clearly it touched a nerve for you.

Offline BIR-TY

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 10:52 AM »
love the flambe method you use. pour it all over the hob, fantastic  ;D

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 11:06 AM »
I was very specific about what recipe I used...Also, the debate about the oil rumbled on after the recipe was amended so I think my comment is actually valid, although clearly it touched a nerve for you.

But, as far as I can tell, you have even used only 80% of the oil (i.e. 800ml) specified in BB1's amended recipe (i.e. 1 litre - rather than the original 2 litres).  Or am I missing something?

So your comments are still invalid (and remain antagonistic, to say the least - to me, anyway).

And whatever happened to the "don't change a single thing, or it won't work!" rhetoric then?  ::)

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:08 PM »
The 'don't change a thing' rhetoric came at a time people were criticising before making it.  I said that only as a precaution to them as if they deviate they cannot give accurate feedback - that's all. 
The pics I posted originally were following the 7kg base recipe halved - oil and all - honestly.
While all the bickering was rolling on, BB and I were discussing things in the background (others too) as we wanted to try the recipes but not have the distraction and unpleasantness of a public argument about it so took it offline.  I obtained the full restaurant recipe and mathematically reworked it for a 5kg batch.  Had BB not given up with this forum you'd all have it by now.  Please remember that he published the recipe from repetitively watching it being prepared, I can't be bothered going back to check but I don't think it was ever presented as a finished, highly tested piece. 

Either way, if anyone wants to try this: use 800ml oil half the coconut and half the sugar (the sugar can always be added back in if your taste prefers it)

Sorry for any offence caused, only intended as a joke, as clearly stated.  Now as I only want to engage in cooking and improving I'll step back from this unless *I* consider it valid to helping others try it.

Regards,

Martin 

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:50 PM »
I obtained the full restaurant recipe and mathematically reworked it for a 5kg batch.  Had BB not given up with this forum you'd all have it by now.

We do have it in the amended version which I posted on bb1's behalf.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Had BB not given up with this forum you'd all have it by now.... Now as I only want to engage in cooking and improving I'll step back from this unless *I* consider it valid to helping others try it.

I urge you to stand your ground and argue your case. How can it make sense, as quite a few people often say - that some comment will be their last word? It strikes me as weak, weak, weak to do that. The Prime Minister and Leader of the Opposition hardly ever agree but neither of them is a quitter, like any person is who gives up. It's easy for things written down in a hurry to be misinterpreted, so it's good and useful of you to clarify. I find your reports and feedback interesting. Please keep them coming.

Such debates are also very valid in testing the validity of something, like a Jeremy Paxman or John Humphries interview, or counter arguments in Court. Or a curry recipe. Forums/environments where even the slightest disagreement is frowned upon tend to believe, and be fobbed-off with, any old nonsense. How can that possibly be better?

©2024 Curry Recipes