Author Topic: THE GLASGOW CURRIES  (Read 39387 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: THE GLASGOW CURRIES
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2013, 11:20 PM »
I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why the oil separates from the blended base after continued cooking, when we know the water content is vastly more than the oil content (that's common sense, no science needed -  I hope).

Your theory rather hinges on an explanation so...

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2013, 11:29 PM »
I'm still waiting for an explanation as to why the oil separates from the blended base after continued cooking, when we know the water content is vastly more than the oil content (that's common sense, no science needed -  I hope)

You've already had this explanation now, twice.

If you don't understand it, fair enough, but I'm not going to keep repeating the same thing over and over. Particularly not something that I know with 100% certainty to be 100% correct.

So far you've come up with jack (moderated) to refute it, over above what you think to be common sense.

What's even more shocking, is someone who's been cooking this stuff for as long as you have to have zero understanding of the processes involved!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:46 AM by George »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2013, 11:41 PM »
So you still assert that the oil separates from the curry when all the water has been removed but can't explain why in the base, where the water exceeds the oil content by roughly an order of magnitude, that the oil still separates from the water. When you actually explain the contradiction (which, despite your protestation, you have not) we can move on.

By the way, I don't have to come up with anything (yet). You're the one making the assertion and not backing it up when presented with an obvious contradiction.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2013, 11:56 PM »
When you actually explain the contradiction

It's not a contradiction, you just can't get your head round it. In other words you can't figure it out for yourself and need me to keep on explaining it to you.

Yet you've got the cheek imply I'm stupid?

The principle is exactly the same with the big stock pot of base sauce as it is with the frying pan, only this time the emulsion (water + oil) is only created on the surface. The water evaporates from the surface, the emulsion breaks and bingo the oil separates.

The water evaporation and emulsion breaking is only taking place on the surface - not throughout the entire stock pot of base sauce, which is why you can't figure it out, because you assume it's taking place through the entire stock pot. It isn't, it's only happening on the surface, where the water is evaporating from!

Stir that oil back into the base and it disappears (the emulsion has been broken) continue cooking it and more water will evaporate and the emulsion creates and breaks again. The oil that separates is only happening on the surface it doesn't extend down to the bottom of the stock pot.

When cooking in a frying pan, you only have a thin coating of sauce and the same thing happens only this time all the water evaporates breaking the emulsion and separating the oil.

Are you happy now?  ::)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2013, 11:59 PM »
So you still assert that the oil separates from the curry when all the water has been removed but can't explain why in the base, where the water exceeds the oil content by roughly an order of magnitude, that the oil still separates from the water.

You make a good point, SS. 

Perhaps it's because the particulates in the particulate/water/oil mix initially absorb the oil, which then "separates" from the mix, with the application of heat, by some sort of transport mechanism, due to the immiscibility of oil in water?

Why do you think it's the case (which, as you say, seems to be the case)?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2013, 12:04 AM »
The principle is exactly the same with the big stock pot of base sauce as it is with the frying pan, only this time the emulsion (water + oil) is only created on the surface. The water evaporates from the surface, the emulsion breaks and bingo the oil separates.

Now that sounds plausible.....  :)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2013, 12:14 AM »
Now that sounds plausible.....  :)

Don't you start! ;)

Offline Dajoca

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2013, 12:21 AM »
Yet another thread destroyed with unnecessary bile and vitriol.
A new visitor to this forum reading any number of threads full of this constant, combative, point scoring is unlikely to ever return.
It also drives away many great contributors, fed up with being attacked for each contribution they make, in common with every other forum out there that is not strictly moderated.
Thanks to Martin for providing the vids and the recipe.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2013, 12:35 AM »
Yet another thread destroyed with unnecessary bile and vitriol.

Yes, you're absolutely right in what you say and I must hold my hand up as being one of the main culprits - guilty as charged, for which I'm happy to apologise.

Sorry Martin for derailing your thread in this way.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2013, 03:27 AM »
Whoa, Late night, hic. this threads been trashed

Yes, I think a similar approach was used by an Indian chef in one of Madhur Jaffrey's programmes in the Curry Nation series.
Manzil Restaurant George, No nothing like it fella.

Kooko, after a years hiatus from posting, your back with the same idiotic attitude.
Asking the question why, then writing reams of rubbish on why you think whoever is wrong and you know better, when in reality your not even on first base.
(Smarty Pants) that sounds a bit Gay or Female
(Yet you've got the cheek imply I'm stupid?)  Lol ;D ;D ;D  Classic, We should have a poll on that one.

SS
The original bb1 recipe has that much oil and less water, when cooked for a such a long time
it produces a congealed oily mass (onion sauce) for the oil to separate from this it needs water.
The waters been boiled off, leaving half a pot of gloop. (It looks like wallpaper paste)
Scientific Bit
Oil is a nonpolar liquid, its atoms don't attract the atoms of a polar substance, such as water.

Anyhoo - Thanks for sharing your vids Martin.
With your mods, it looks better than bb1 and if this style of curry is what your after, It's your Nirvana.
Curry on....Chewy

http://youtu.be/_mT5YZ5cEhc

©2024 Curry Recipes