Author Topic: No Oil  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: No Oil
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 10:14 PM »

Just what we do. Eat sensibly during the week. Watch out for the crap fat ( cakes, pies etc ). Drink whatever alcohol I like and have a curry fest every Saturday. Lost one and half stone doing this.  ;)

Spot on RD

My missus is on a Weighwatchers diet, we worked out that a chicken dopiaza is about the same points as many of their processed meals, ... just go careful on the side dishes  ;)

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 09:56 AM »
Scaremongering is fine by me, Paul ! In the United States, an average of 110 cases of botulism are reported each year.  The United States has a population of 313,914,040, the UK a population of 62,641,000: on that basis, the UK can expect of the order of 22 cases per year.  However, the number of members of CR0 is only
19513, so the number of cases experienced by our members is only 0.007.  I suppose that might creep up to 0.01 if too many leave their garlicky oil to fester . . .

** Phil.

The UK figures are way below 22 cases a year. I posted this on another thread, but worth repeating here:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Botulism/Pages/Introduction.aspx

"Botulism is a rare condition in the UK. Between 1980 and 2010 there were 33 recorded cases of food-borne botulism in England and Wales. Twenty-six of these were linked to a single outbreak in 1989 that was caused by contaminated hazelnut yoghurt."

Not sure how that works out in terms of the risk to CRO's 19513 members, but I'd say it's on the small side. (Not that we shouldn't be careful, etc.)

Offline harley

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 07:12 PM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/8887446/Korma-sauce-recalled-after-botulism-outbreak.html

Loyd Grossman?s korma sauce recalled after botulism

How long does it take for clostridium botulinum to develop at room temp?

I normally keep my gg paste in the fridge for 2weeks but they say no longer than 7 days in the fridge.

not scared by it but would like to how long at room temp out of interest

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Hi Harley,

If you are at all concerned my advice would be to freeze your g/g paste.
Even if there are botulism spores present at freezer temps they can't really grow at all. I find it defrosts quickly enough to be able to scrape off what you want to cook with, then back in the freezer.

Paul

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 12:16 AM »
Surely frying  GG paste at a v high temp kills it?

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 08:33 AM »
Surely frying  GG paste at a v high temp kills it?

Yes that's not the problem, it's the neurotoxins that are produced by the living cells and left behind even if you kill them.

We could do with a garlic and botulism "sticky" to refer people to instead of raking this up every time.

Paul

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 09:51 AM »

scrape off what you want to cook with, then back in the freezer.

Better still, freeze in ice cube trays in tbs portions then freezer bag once frozen.

©2024 Curry Recipes