Author Topic: Mr Naga Pickle  (Read 15045 times)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Mr Naga Pickle
« on: February 16, 2013, 06:59 PM »
A few questions about this stuff!

When is it normally added to the curry?

Would it normally replace all or some of the chilli powder?

How much do people add?

I appreciate everyone will be different and have different tolerances but interested in how it is used.

I do like a hot curry but don't want to overdo it  ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Naga Pickle
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Wherever I have seen a pickle added, its mostly towards the end. In terms of how much is down to your preference I guess, but more than teaspoon is going to make the dish hot! Again with the chilli powder, its your choice but if you like me, i'd start with small amounts and work up.

I have just bought my first jar today and am about to open it, if i'm not back in 5 send the fire brigade round please!

Offline Whandsy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Be careful not to overdo it uclown, some people love the stuff and others aren't to keen, it's quite a heavy taste and I've not had much success with it.

Take a look at this thread

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8925.0.html

W

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Just opened and tried the Mr.Naga for the first time, wow, this stuff is fantastic! The smell is fantastic and the taste is too. I don't get the 'curry' element that has been said about it but am really looking forward to dropping it in a curry anytime soon.

...I could addicted to this stuff! :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 04:20 PM by Axe »

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 07:52 PM »
Uclown, I typically add a heaped tsp full and don't add chilli powder as it supplies all the heat reqd to make a medium/hot curry to my taste. As others have said it's a strong flavour and IMHO need balancing with something else. When I added it to a simple plain chicken curry the flavour was wrong, but in the Manzil Jafflong recipe the Mr Naga flavour is balanced with tandoori masala and garam masala, which seems to work well.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Thanks guys!

Easy does it then.

@ Axe:- please let us know how you find it.

Offline Zap

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 07:13 AM »
I have been looking all over for this here in the US - so far, no luck.  Sad thing is I love really hot stuff, so I'm sure it would be a treat to get to try in a curry if I could find it.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:59 PM »

Well I have to say so far other than the the initial tests, I haven't had that much opportunity to use it until tonight. With all the ado about bhuna I ordered a lamb bhuna from my local to see what all the fuss was about. Being a mild dish as advertised in these parts, it never really appealed to me. I picked up the TA and  could smell a deep aroma of chilli, which I enjoyed on the drive home. I plated up and sat down to eat my lamb bhuna with naan and sag dal.

First thing that I noticed was that despite the promise of chilli, there was no chilli heat or taste of chilli. So I continued on with another mouthful or two and then decided it was time to break our the Mr Naga. Off to the kitchen and spooned out half a teaspoon of Mr Naga and worked it through the bhuna, which in this case was a dryish dish with lots of finely chopped and sadly undercooked onions. The result of which was a triumph in every sense.

It obviously added some heat and I could have easily added another half teaspoon, but the flavour it added to the dish took it to a whole new dimension. It's like that fenugreek thing or umami, it's simply fantastic. I'm sure it's not to everyone taste buds, but i'm loving the journey so far.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 10:31 PM »

Well I have to say so far other than the the initial tests, I haven't had that much opportunity to use it until tonight. With all the ado about bhuna I ordered a lamb bhuna from my local to see what all the fuss was about. Being a mild dish as advertised in these parts, it never really appealed to me. I picked up the TA and  could smell a deep aroma of chilli, which I enjoyed on the drive home. I plated up and sat down to eat my lamb bhuna with naan and sag dal.

First thing that I noticed was that despite the promise of chilli, there was no chilli heat or taste of chilli. So I continued on with another mouthful or two and then decided it was time to break our the Mr Naga. Off to the kitchen and spooned out half a teaspoon of Mr Naga and worked it through the bhuna, which in this case was a dryish dish with lots of finely chopped and sadly undercooked onions. The result of which was a triumph in every sense.

It obviously added some heat and I could have easily added another half teaspoon, but the flavour it added to the dish took it to a whole new dimension. It's like that fenugreek thing or umami, it's simply fantastic. I'm sure it's not to everyone taste buds, but i'm loving the journey so far.

Nice one Axe!

I have just got a jar but not had an opportunity to try it yet.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 03:29 PM »
@Axe

Have you tried it in other curries yet?

I'm likely to break the seal this weekend and was wondering what particular curry dish would be get a nice lift from Mr Naga.

©2024 Curry Recipes