Author Topic: Mr Naga Pickle  (Read 15044 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mr Naga Pickle
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 03:56 PM »
There's no real right and wrong with it, but I would add it to less complicated dishes to start with, so you can see what it's adding to the dish. After that, it's entirely your preference. I reckon it would be great in a do piaza but also try it in a jal frezi.

I can't believe you haven't broken the seal, it was the first thing I did when I got home with it. Your in for a treat!

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 04:41 PM »
There's no real right and wrong with it, but I would add it to less complicated dishes to start with, so you can see what it's adding to the dish. After that, it's entirely your preference. I reckon it would be great in a do piaza but also try it in a jal frezi.

I can't believe you haven't broken the seal, it was the first thing I did when I got home with it. Your in for a treat!

Dopiaza or Jalfrezi it is then!  How close to end would you add the Mr Naga?

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 05:07 PM »
...I can't believe you haven't broken the seal, it was the first thing I did when I got home with it...

Too true, Malc! I was ready to crack the seal in the shop!

...How close to end would you add the Mr Naga?

In the recent Jaflong I made (which, I think has been described as a sort of Jalfrezi), the Mr Naga went in with the pre-cooked chicken. It works fine as an addition at this stage - I've made the Jaflong twice now and it tastes braw! :)

EDIT: Should have added that I'll be having it again tonight with some of Aussie Mick's very fine pilau rice!  8)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 09:27 PM »
Well I added a half teaspoon spoonful to my chilli con carne tonight and felt I could add more. The flavour really came through though and I added the Mr Naga at serving. So my suggestion, would be to add it towards the end of cooking . ;)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 09:35 PM »
Well I added a half teaspoon spoonful to my chilli con carne tonight and felt I could add more. The flavour really came through though and I added the Mr Naga at serving. So my suggestion, would be to add it towards the end of cooking . ;)

I was thinking towards the end but I'll try both ways to see if there is a discernible difference.  I've just had a chilli and didn't think to use it  >:(

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 09:43 PM »
I use naga on other stuff as well as curries. I use it to pep up soups - really adds great flavour. Also like to add a thin layer on some pizzas. Put some on Staffordshire oatcakes with cheese and beans, nice.

Luv it!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 10:04 PM »
Could it be like Marmite? I don't know but I love it.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 12:12 AM »
Hi Malc
It's amazing that it's took you so long to get/use Mr.Naga, also amazing to realise how long
ago I joined cR0 and did my first videos.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,5834.msg57818.html#msg57818

Watch here when I add Mr.Naga Achari Murgh

Just bought a Jar of Pran Olive Pickle, which I hadn't seen for a while, so I revisited this recipe for my curry tonight.

The only downside to Mr.Naga, is too many Chefs are adding it as an enhancer to far too many new dishes on their menu.
Back in the 90's there used to be one or two speciality curries flavoured with Mr.Naga or Kitchen Magic Green Naga,
but I guess it's just evolution again and customer driven.

Funny as I buy so many indian pickles, looking for flavour enhancers for my recipes,
I don't really think of Mr.Naga as a pickle, as it doesn't have the Mustard Oil back note.

Still it's a must have in my curry kitchen, as it's so versatile ;)

cheers Chewytikka

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 12:30 AM »
Well the honest answer Chewy is that I have been bloody scared of it. I don't do hot, or so I thought! I guess I have just opened my wings a little more. ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes