Author Topic: # Here comes the muffin man #  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
# Here comes the muffin man #
« on: February 17, 2013, 12:59 PM »
By mistake, I bought a 4-pack of Hovis muffins recently, thinking that they were crumpets (which I adore, especially while the weather remains chilly).  It became clear that they were muffins only when I opened the pack, but as I had already got the toaster out in readiness for my crumpets, I bunged two muffins in and waited for them to crisp on the outside.  But then I came to a halt : what to do with them ?  I have never eaten a muffin in my life (and most certainly not one of those American monstrosities that must be responsible for more overweight Americans than virtually any other cause), so I did not know how they were traditionally eaten.  I tried cutting one open and adding a 1/4" layer of nice salted butter, analogous to what I would do with a crumpet apart from the cutting-open part, but the result was not particularly exciting.  I added 3/8" of golden syrup : a slight improvement, but nothing to write home about.  So, back in the good old days when every child knew (and could sing) # Here comes the muffin man #, how were muffins eaten, and why were they considered so wonderful that a song was written about the man who delivers them ?

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:14 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: # Here comes the muffin man #
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 01:10 PM »
 ::)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 02:05 PM »
A favourite breakfast of mine first made for me by a friend (American Bill) uses Muffins.
Split and toasted buttered muffins topped with fresh wilted spinach, poached eggs and a cheese sauce.
Mmmmmmmmnnn  :P

Almost a Florentine but with cheese sauce instead of Hollandaise.

Frank.  :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 02:14 PM »
A favourite breakfast of mine first made for me by a friend (American Bill) uses Muffins.
Split and toasted buttered muffins topped with fresh wilted spinach, poached eggs and a cheese sauce.
Mmmmmmmmnnn  :P  Almost a Florentine but with cheese sauce instead of Hollandaise.

Ah, /savoury/ muffins : why didn't I think of that ?  Right, "Eggs Florentine

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 02:26 PM »
Well Phil, I never ate muffins as a child or indeed purchased them in later years, until recently that is. The wife picked some up instead of farls and to my surprise, I enjoyed them. But it didn't stop there, as on one trip we accidentally picked up cheese muffins and that really did change things.

So back to your question, we half and toast cheese (or plain) muffins and serve them with proper scrambled eggs. I chop a tomato or two and fry in plenty of butter then add the eggs and scramble them until cooked but still loose. Then spoon over the toasted muffins.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 02:38 PM »
Mmmmm, I do like these savoury ideas.  I am afraid I will have to leave out the tomato from my scrambled eggs (don't really like cooked tomato, except when it is in a curry or similar) and replace them with spring onions, thereby turning it into (simplified) Vietnamese scrambled eggs.  I am really looking forward to breakfast tomorrow : thank you, chaps !

** Phil.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:24 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 03:17 PM »
It was no good : once you chaps had planted the idea of savoury muffins in my mind, I couldn't wait 'till breakfast.  So --
  • Split toasted muffin with melted mozarella cheese, olives, capers and anchovies :)
No time for photographs, just went down "whoosh !".
Thank you both for your great ideas.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 04:29 PM »
...and replace them with spring onions, thereby turning it into (simplifed) Vietnamese scrambled eggs...

That sounds nice Phil do you have a recipe for the 'complicated' version. With my new best friend namely the Mr. Naga, I reckon that it would go great in a Bengal style omelette or scrambled eggs. :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 04:42 PM »
...and replace them with spring onions, thereby turning it into (simplifed) Vietnamese scrambled eggs...

That sounds nice Phil do you have a recipe for the 'complicated' version.

I will ask herself, who is currently online in Abu Dhabi.  As far as I know, as well as the chopped spring onions it had ham, chicken stock powder, and (optionally) a dash of fish sauce.  I will ask herself now.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 06:23 PM »
No time for photographs, just went down "whoosh !".
** Phil.

Exactly what always happens with my eggs and spinach. Oh, was i supposed to chew?  ;D

I forgot to add, if i have any fresh green chillies around, they Always go on my eggs!

I Love fresh green chillies with egg.... :P Any style of cooked eggs!
Boiled eggs and soldiers with chopped fresh chilli on top? Damn right!  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes