Author Topic: Chicken Phall  (Read 4735 times)

Offline currylover40

• Chef
    • View Profile
Chicken Phall
« on: February 17, 2013, 06:13 PM »
Whilst i appreciate the video and effort that this curried away guy has made,i've been looking for a phall vid for ages, so was well happy, but i thought his attitude at the beginning of the video stinks!
Correct me if i'm wrong but.. 'this is my version of a phall, if you don't like it....' hmmm
Could he of not just said, 'this is my version of a phall'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa5mOlUiTpE

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chicken Phall
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:44 PM »
I think that Adey was simply pointing out that it is not a phall that most would recognise because he know's how people can react on forums. Perhaps he didn't need to add the 'if you don't like it' statement, but in the heat of the moment? I can't condemn him for being passionate about his food and livelyhood and look forward to anything he can offer that might help me get closer.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:53 PM »
What i can never understand, is people who wont or cant eat certain foods but will still cook them professionally.
How can they be a judge of its quality or flavour?
(He did say in a previous video that he wont eat any hot curries.)

Another example is people who are allergic to shellfish. There was a chef who lost in The Great British Menu because he chose a prawn dish which he could only guess if it was cooked to his taste.
The same goes for vegetarians who cook meat dishes.

Brussel Sprouts - Wont eat - Wont cook!  ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 07:06 PM »
(He did say in a previous video that he wont eat any hot curries.)

I feel like i'm defending Adey but I am not , just adding my two pennies so to speak. Surely the quality and flavour is judged by his customer, if the return and order again , then surely that is his measure.

There was also a vegetarian chef on Great British Menu that cooked beef, I can't recall how he did but that doesn't mean to say he can't be trained to cook food he will not taste. He did have others around him to taste the dish for him.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:09 PM »
What i can never understand, is people who won't or can't eat certain foods but will still cook them professionally.  How can they be a judge of its quality or flavour ?

Well, I don't cook professionally, but I do cook vegetables for my wife : "Greater love hath no man than than he cook the uneatable for another" :)  How they taste I have no idea !

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 07:40 PM »
What i can never understand, is people who won't or can't eat certain foods but will still cook them professionally.  How can they be a judge of its quality or flavour ?

Well, I don't cook professionally, but I do cook vegetables for my wife : "Greater love hath no man than than he cook the uneatable for another" :)  How they taste I have no idea !

** Phil.

Hehehehe. Phil's had too much Rice wine.   ;)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 07:45 PM »
What i can never understand, is people who wont or cant eat certain foods but will still cook them professionally.

You've just described 99.9% of BIR chefs (which might explain the utter travesties some try to pass off as curries).

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:13 PM »
This topic actually brings an interesting question that occurred to me when Adey made the jhal zala (mind the spelling)  aka "the hottest" curry ever made and all I saw was him adding chili peppers and the naga pickle, etc it made me wonder how is it even possible to discern the flavors with so much capsaicin on it

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 11:25 PM »
This topic actually brings an interesting question that occurred to me when Adey made the jhal zala (mind the spelling)  aka "the hottest" curry ever made and all I saw was him adding chili peppers and the naga pickle, etc it made me wonder how is it even possible to discern the flavors with so much capsaicin on it

When I used to eat Bangalore phals regularly (too regularly : that is why I now no longer eat them at all !), I used to find that if the chilli was too predominant the best cure was to keep adding salt.  Salt seems to have no effect on the palate's reaction to chilli whilst it distinctly brings out the background flavours, so it would be interesting to watch a video recording of this jhal zala beng made and observe how much (or how little) salt he uses.

** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 01:02 AM »

When I used to eat Bangalore phals regularly (too regularly : that is why I now no longer eat them at all !), I used to find that if the chilli was too predominant the best cure was to keep adding salt.  Salt seems to have no effect on the palate's reaction to chilli whilst it distinctly brings out the background flavours, so it would be interesting to watch a video recording of this jhal zala beng made and observe how much (or how little) salt he uses.

Interesting observations Phil. There is a video of Adey preparing it, but I'm not sure the amount of salt is shown

©2024 Curry Recipes