Author Topic: My go at the Viceroy Omelette  (Read 25575 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: My go at the Viceroy Omelette
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 10:17 PM »
One of the greatest failures of my culinary career.  Two eggs (even very large ones) didn't seem sufficient to absorb the whole of one medium onion finely chopped, I failed to turn down the heat sufficiently to accommodate 3--4 minutes cooking each side (so the first side went dark brown) and the onions remained stubbornly undercooked.  Next time : three eggs, not two; half an onion, not a whole; and remember to turn the heat down as soon as the egg hits the pan.

I was so disappointed I binned the remainder and cooked my one remaining egg as a simple omelette au nature, just picking up whatever odds and ends remained in the mixing bowl.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 12:05 AM »
Sorry to hear that Phil, I must admit, i did learn very quickly about keeping the heat down. Hopefully you will have a better second attempt.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2013, 01:06 AM »
Quote from: Phil [Chaa006
One of the greatest failures of my culinary career.  Two eggs (even very large ones) didn't seem sufficient

Knowing you Phil they were probably free-range quail's eggs - what do you expect?  ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2013, 10:59 AM »
Knowing you Phil they were probably free-range quail's eggs - what do you expect?  ;)
Mr Waitrose's finest extra-large Colombian Blacktails, Sir : I fear my "medium onion" must have erred on the side of generosity :(

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 12:04 PM »
I tarka the onions and chillis with a pinch of Ajwain for a couple of minutes first, then add the egg mix.
I also only use half a tsp of my mix powder and half a tsp of Besan (Chickpea Flour) for flavour.
Too much mix powder and coriander darkens the egg mix and it just doesn't look appealing when cooked.

For me an omelette should be light and fluffy, with just a touch of colour.

Hi Mike i'm not a fan of Ajwain but i'll give it another go. Reflecting on the omelette, I do feel that 1/2 teaspoon of mix powder would be better, maybe none at all! Interesting comment on the besan, does it give it a nutty flavour, but doesnt that also prevent the omelette being light?

Phil, I used large eggs with a small to middling onion, the key definitely being a lower heat source and letting the omelette set before flipping. I did find that with all the onion, 2 eggs were en

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Hi Mike i'm not a fan of Ajwain but i'll give it another go. Reflecting on the omelette, I do feel that 1/2 teaspoon of mix powder would be better, maybe none at all!

I used "Rajah Mixed Curry Powder (Mixed Masala)" as this seemed closest to the original.

Phil, I used large eggs with a small to middling onion, the key definitely being a lower heat source and letting the omelette set before flipping. I did find that with all the onion, 2 eggs were en

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 01:04 PM »
...I opted for a 28cm non-stick pan...

That maybe why it went wrong, I noted that even in my 24cm pan it was a tricky task turning the omelette, given the amount of onion in it. Even with 3 eggs, you may find the larger pan still not suitable. But please don't think I am trying to teach you how to suck eggs.  :P

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 01:12 PM »
I used "Rajah Mixed Curry Powder (Mixed Masala)" as this seemed closest to the original.

Ready made mix powder...that's interesting.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 01:22 PM »
Ready made mix powder...that's interesting.

If you listen to the commentary, that seems to be what the narrator is suggesting :

Quote from: padma20
... and half a table ... er, teaspoon of mixed curry powder.  You can buy them in any supermarket or local grocery store.

** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 02:00 PM »
Hi Mike i'm not a fan of Ajwain but i'll give it another go. Reflecting on the omelette, I do feel that 1/2 teaspoon of mix powder would be better, maybe none at all! Interesting comment on the besan, does it give it a nutty flavour, but doesnt that also prevent the omelette being light?

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 04:03 PM by chewytikka »

©2024 Curry Recipes