Author Topic: My go at the Viceroy Omelette  (Read 25616 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My go at the Viceroy Omelette
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 11:05 PM »
Then whilst in the pan, place it under a pre-heated medium grill.

Best not tried with a Teflon(R)-coated pan; they seriously dislike the intense heat of a grill (said he, from bitter experience !).

Strange Phil, as all the pans I cook omelette in are non-stick. I can't say i've ever had a problem. I should point out my grill is electric not gas, could that be the difference?

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 11:07 PM »
Hi Gav

Saturday Morning Omelette Challenge love it! ;D

One thing you can do to avoid the whole 'breaking of the omelette' problem, is not turn it but finish it under the grill. This is exactly what I did with the latest one I posted. Simply cook the omelette on a low heat until it is roughly 3/4 cooked through. Then whilst in the pan, place it under a pre-heated medium grill. Keep an eye on it, as it doesn't take long to souffl

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 11:11 PM »
Strange Phil, as all the pans I cook omelette in are non-stick. I can't say i've ever had a problem. I should point out my grill is electric not gas, could that be the difference?

No, I'm electric too.  Maybe the last pan that died this way (the Teflon(R) coating lifted) was just past its prime.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23 PM »
No, I'm electric too.  Maybe the last pan that died this way (the Teflon(R) coating lifted) was just past its prime.

Well just to be safe, may I suggest that should you try this again, set the grill to a medium heat setting. Don't want to see another pan get ruined!

Gav, Tile Gate sounds awful! :-\

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 11:36 PM »
Well just to be safe, may I suggest that should you try this again, set the grill to a medium heat setting. Don't want to see another pan get ruined!

My new ones are all ceramic non-stick, not Teflon(R).  But I'm still not prepared to risk one under the grill, even on medium : I don't even let the dishwasher play with them, lest that perfect 100% non-stick surface is rendered even the tiniest bit spoiled ...
** Phil.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 09:01 AM »
Teflon is not a good choice if your pans get very hot.

From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene):
"The pyrolysis of PTFE is detectable at 200

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 11:22 PM »
I made this in the "scrambled egg" format following CBM's comment, using 1 tsp of CA's mix powder and I a few thin strips of green peppers. Me and the missus liked it and considering how quick you can get it done, I may be doing it again in the future. Great!! :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 11:29 PM »
Nice one Gagomes, it's certainly a recipe to be played with and has opened my eyes yet again. Does it make sense when I say that these revelations make peanut butter and jam seem normal? Because that's exactly how I feel as I learn more and more.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2013, 01:55 PM »
Hi All

Made this for the second time today.  Lovely omelette.  Made to spec first time and with the evolution of the thread I made it the following way today:

Ingredients

- 1 Tsp Veg Oil
- 1 Tsp Butter
- 3 Birds Eye Green Chillis, finely chopped     
- 0.25 Tsp Salt
- 0.5 Tsp Mix Powder
- Small Pinch of Ajwain Seeds
- 0.5 Tsp Besan (chickpea) Flour
- Half Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
- 3 Medium Eggs, Whisked.
- 2 Tsp Fresh Coriander, Chopped
- Grated Cheddar to thinly cover omelette

Method

1. Heat the oil and butter in a 8-9? frying pan.  Add the onion and chillis and fry gently for a minute.
2. Add the mix powder, Besan and ajwain and gently fry for 30 secs.
3. Add the eggs and salt and stir mixture.  Add the coriander and cheese.
3. Cook on medium for 3 minutes then 3 minutes under a Low/medium grill.  Season with salt and pepper.
4. Serve with salad.

Important changes for me from 1st attempt where:
1. Mix powder needs a gentle fry so as not to taste to powdered if that makes sense ???
2. Onion needs a gentle fry
3. Ajwain can be overpowering so not too much.  Also can be overcooked easily.  Adds a lovely taste.
4. I cannot make an omelette without the addition of salt, butter (adds a creaminess) and Cheese.

thanks to Everyone so far for there suggestions that allowed me to get to this stage.  A must try omelette.

Barry

« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 02:46 PM by bamble1976 »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2013, 02:35 PM »
Barry that looks fantastic, I would very happily eat it especially with the cheese (not in your ingredient list ;) ).

I have thought about using some paneer fried in the pan along with the onions to start which I think would work very well indeed, I will try it next time round. I also think it would work really well with added spinach too.

Your right about butter for the omelette, I would normally only use butter which I haven't done at all with my two attempts here, don't know why though.  ???

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Malc. :)

©2024 Curry Recipes