Author Topic: My go at the Viceroy Omelette  (Read 25603 times)

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My go at the Viceroy Omelette
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2013, 02:49 PM »
Cheers Malc.

You would think it would be easy to compile a short recipe with instructions but no matter how many times I proof read it I always miss something off ::)

I think this is a great recipe for individuals to tweak for themselves and one of those things where you think "Why has this not been done before"? :o

Regards

Barry

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2013, 03:33 PM »
Barry, I remember writing up a recipe for a chicken hotpot and completely failed to include the chicken in the ingredients list! So your not alone ;)

Your right of course, I also wondered why I hadn't thought to do this before now. It makes you wonder other things you might be able to spice up, that otherwise wouldn't be. I do remember a topic where we discussed adding mix powder to yorkshire pudding batter, but I never braved that one. But it might well work as a savoury pancake with pickles etc. But for it's sheer simplicity, i'll be sticking with the omelette until such time I have find I have some left over pancake batter to play with ;)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2013, 09:28 PM »
Ok, so tonight was another opportunity for me to try another variation this time using up some of yesterday roast chicken (dark meat). Feeling quite hungry I forgot to check back here to see what I was meant to be trying next so just jumped in and put it together.

I put it together in a 24cm pan using 1 onion this time but with half a yellow pepper. I used the ajwain seeds again which I added a half way through cooking the onions and chillis. Then added some frozen peas. Once the peas were warmed in went the 3 egg mix with madras powder but forgot the besan (grrr) and slow cooked. Topped the omelette with pulled chicken meat and halved cherry tomatoes, and finished under a hot grill.

Conclusion: very nice combo indeed :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:21 PM by Axe »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2013, 06:29 AM »
If you hadn't pointed out that it was an omelette, I would have said it looked a very nice pizza! :)

I must try the ajwain seeds and peas in my next omelette.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Imagine if i'd have added the cheese I said I would try next time round!  :)

The colour was darker this time as I used madras powder not mix powder. Also left it under the grill a while to cook the tomatoes.

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2013, 10:57 AM »
No Photo cos I scoffed it, but i made another this morning with a whole 'really small' finely chopped onion and 2 chopped chilies fried until cooked and then added a teaspoon of CA's mix powder, some chopped coriander and then 2 eggs with some cheddar cheese. Finished it under the grill and it was the best I've done yet. I'll do it again tomorrow and post a photo. There's plenty mileage left in this.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2013, 11:15 AM »
No Photo cos I scoffed it,

Can't blame you for that, look forward to the pics tomorrow. :)

I really want to try it with some spinach.

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2013, 11:56 AM »

I really want to try it with some spinach.

I'd like to have a go at adapting one of these

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2738/real-spanish-omelette

Well, now you've went for the Italian look that is.  :)

Fusion food.

Also when posting photo's, could we have the egg amount.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Pan size and egg count updated Gav ;) I very nearly tried the 'Spanish' variation yesterday but I always find the spuds dry when I do it, so I chose not to.

Does anyone know the Indian name for this omelette? I've Googled 'Indian Omelette' and it's thrown up loads but would like to Google it by it's proper name.....where's Chewy when you need him! :)

Offline Gav Iscon

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2013, 02:02 PM »
Right Axe, as you've got my taste buds fired up, I crumbled and had an omlette for dinner. Par-boiled 2 small spuds halved and sliced. Then pan fried them in some veg oil and a bit of butter ghee along with a small diced onion, some diced pepper, 3 sliced mushrooms, 2 sliced chillies, some frozen garden peas, a bit of fresh coriander, 3 cherry plum tomatoes sliced and once the onions were cooked, transferred to my 20cm non-stick, added a heaped teaspoon of CA's mix powder, and coated everything. I then added 3 beaten eggs and put a few slithers of cheddar on top. Cooked for a few mins pulling the sides in and then finished under the grill. Fantastic and I took a photo for a change.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 02:19 PM by Gav Iscon »

©2024 Curry Recipes