Author Topic: Garlic/Ginger Paste  (Read 10620 times)

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Garlic/Ginger Paste
« on: February 26, 2013, 03:59 PM »
Hi all
just joined and i'm a complete novice

i have heard of garlic & ginger paste, but i only have powder forms of these. So the qustion is: how do i make it just using what i have [i also have difficulty with any hand pressure, might be needed if talking of mortar & pestle, since i have arthritis]. Can the two powders be combined? And in what quatities? And is oil or some other substitute used to make the paste?

Sorry to all if it's long winded

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic/Ginger Paste
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 04:04 PM »
i have heard of garlic & ginger paste, but i only have powder forms of these. So the qustion is: how do i make it just using what i have [i also have difficulty with any hand pressure, might be needed if talking of mortar & pestle, since i have arthritis]. Can the two powders be combined? And in what quatities? And is oil or some other substitute used to make the paste?

No powders involved, failsafe : just blend fresh ginger and fresh garlic with oil using an inexpensive electric blender, or buy a ready-made jar of the same.  Welcome aboard !

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Some use oil, some use water, others use both or neither. Whatever the preference, as Phil says, blend from fresh ginger and garlic. Also there are differing opinions on what ratio to use as well. 50:50  or perhaps 60:40 in favour of either one depending on preference.

Personally I like to make up in bulk then freeze in 1 tbsp amounts in ice trays before popping out and storing in freezer bags. Defrost as I need them.  ;)

Welcome

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:10 PM »
Thanks Phil & RubyDoo
will take note of your comments which i found very useful. Never come across the paste in Asda! lol

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:24 PM »
Unfortunately not all Asda stores stock the same range.  You should be able to find garlic puree and ginger puree in tubes though, with the tomato puree normally.  You could also look out for the Taj frozen variety of both that some Asda's stock. Alternatively, visit a local Asian grocers if you have one or if all else fails, do as Phil and RD said, make your own.  The latter is a lot superior to any shop bought kind, in taste and in behaviour when you put in hot oil  :o :o  It doesn't have  a nasty habit of spitting at you  ::)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Nothing beats fresh  ;) :-*

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:40 PM »

Well, I used to believe that, until I tried a decent jar of pre-mix from a Gurkha store in Ashford; now I have no intentions of ever making my own again !

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 08:51 PM »

Well, I used to believe that, until I tried a decent jar of pre-mix from a Gurkha store in Ashford; now I have no intentions of ever making my own again !

** Phil.

1. Lazy git!
2. Do you know what is in it?
3. Do you actually believe what they say is in it?
4.  Share the info? If that good.   ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 09:45 PM »
1. Lazy git!
2. Do you know what is in it?
3. Do you actually believe what they say is in it?
4.  Share the info? If that good.   ;)

1. Excessively busy git.  Five years into retirement, and busier now than I ever was when I was receiving a salary.
2. Ginger & garlic, plus the usual preservatives.
3. Of course.  When it comes to na

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:21 PM »
Hahaha.  ;)0nly 2 years in but know what you mean. Borrocks to the preservatives.   ;)  ???

©2024 Curry Recipes