Author Topic: Garlic/Ginger Paste  (Read 10644 times)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic/Ginger Paste
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 12:59 AM »
failsafe - get some garlic and ginger from your local Asian grocer which is much cheaper than from your supermarket. I blend a 60:40 ratio of garlic to ginger with just enough oil to make it liquid. Pour into a jar and Bob's your uncle. It will keep in the fridge for a month and when a recipe calls for "garlic ginger paste" that's what you use.

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 09:28 AM »
Welcome failsafe !

Fresh is loads better , easier to work with , more tasty ( natural I mean without acidic preservatives and God knows what ) and it can be frozen too .. I usually make up about 500g at a time and freeze in 50g tablet containers which then lasts a couple of months .. to not do fresh is idleness IMHO   ;)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 05:00 PM »
I bought 3 jars, one of ginger paste and one of garlic paste (same brand) and one of garlic-ginger paste from a different brand in my local asian grocer. I am quite pleased with the garlic paste, but not pleased at all the with the ginger one. I think the garlic-ginger one is fine too, but I always top it up with extra garlic. I have not given myself the trouble of making my own paste since. I find the difference to be negligible.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Good general tip for pastes: It's worth adding just a little bit of salt when making the paste. It helps your mixer grind everything easier. At least that's what I found.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Here's my tip (then again, I can only speak of mine): Don't use a jungle-blender to make g&g, unless you want it chunky  :o (again, might just be mine, which I cannot vouch for the quality as it was offered..!)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 10:35 PM »
Here's my tip (then again, I can only speak of mine): Don't use a jungle-blender to make g&g, !)

I hate to seem na
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:51 PM by Phil [Chaa006] »

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 11:39 PM »
Here's my tip (then again, I can only speak of mine): Don't use a jungle-blender to make g&g, !)

I hate to seem na

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2013, 01:09 PM »
failsafe - get some garlic and ginger from your local Asian grocer which is much cheaper than from your supermarket. I blend a 60:40 ratio of garlic to ginger with just enough oil to make it liquid. Pour into a jar and Bob's your uncle. It will keep in the fridge for a month and when a recipe calls for "garlic ginger paste" that's what you use.

That's useful info which i will consider.
problem i have is that i have arthritis in my hands so getting and peeling [which applies to other ingredients that have to be peeled] ginger is out of the question, sadly. But thanks to all. Expect I'll have to consider buying commercially available paste!

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2013, 01:21 PM »
That's useful info which i will consider.  problem i have is that i have arthritis in my hands so getting and peeling [which applies to other ingredients that have to be peeled] ginger is out of the question, sadly. But thanks to all. Expect I'll have to consider buying commercially available paste!

Sorry to learn about the arthritis : my aunt had that (rheumatoid arthritis) and I know how debilitating she found it.  But I think you can buy frozen pre-peeled garlic cloves : that may be worth a try.  As for the ginger, many advocate leaving the skin on and just removing the gnarly ends : that may also help.

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2013, 01:27 PM »
Failsafe, you can get garlic and ginger in frozen cubes from Asian shops and some supermarkets as well. It's good stuff and has no nasty tasting preservatives like the jarred pastes.

©2024 Curry Recipes