Author Topic: Garlic/Ginger Paste  (Read 10624 times)

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Garlic/Ginger Paste
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2013, 10:00 PM »
That's useful info which i will consider.  problem i have is that i have arthritis in my hands so getting and peeling [which applies to other ingredients that have to be peeled] ginger is out of the question, sadly. But thanks to all. Expect I'll have to consider buying commercially available paste!

Sorry to learn about the arthritis : my aunt had that (rheumatoid arthritis) and I know how debilitating she found it.  But I think you can buy frozen pre-peeled garlic cloves : that may be worth a try.  As for the ginger, many advocate leaving the skin on and just removing the gnarly ends : that may also help.

** Phil.

Hiya Phil
I appreciate your sentiments, its a handicap i have to live with, like your aunt. but on the "leaving the the skin on [ginger] and just leaving the skin on and just removing the gnarly ends" i don't know or understand what you mean, mate.

cheers
failsafe

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2013, 10:11 PM »
Failsafe, you can get garlic and ginger in frozen cubes from Asian shops and some supermarkets as well. It's good stuff and has no nasty tasting preservatives like the jarred pastes.

Hiya Secret Santa
Would you know what supermarkets i can get the frozen cubes them from, please
cheers
failsafe

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2013, 10:33 PM »
on the "leaving the the skin on [ginger] and just removing the gnarly ends", i don't know or understand what you mean, mate.
I don't have any ginger I can photograph today, so I'll just have to reply on prose.  When you make garlic/ginger paste, both the garlic and the ginger go into a liquidiser (or are blended using a stick blender).  So, whilst the skin of garlic is nasty stuff and needs to be got rid of before blending, the skin of ginger breaks down quite well, so all that is necessary before blending is to cut off the dry ends and any particularly hard parts, then cut up the remainder leaving the skin on and blend with the peeled garlic.  In general, this is suggested to save time/effort when making a base, which also includes blended garlic/ginger, but if you are not too fussy about wanting your g/g base to be pure white and bit-free, it may work for g/g paste as well.

** Phil.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 02:21 AM »
They sometimes use very fresh and young ginger in India and Pakistan, and leave the skin on. Never heard to do that with the aged ones you get here before.

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 02:10 PM »
on the "leaving the the skin on [ginger] and just removing the gnarly ends", i don't know or understand what you mean, mate.
I don't have any ginger I can photograph today, so I'll just have to reply on prose.  When you make garlic/ginger paste, both the garlic and the ginger go into a liquidiser (or are blended using a stick blender).  So, whilst the skin of garlic is nasty stuff and needs to be got rid of before blending, the skin of ginger breaks down quite well, so all that is necessary before blending is to cut off the dry ends and any particularly hard parts, then cut up the remainder leaving the skin on and blend with the peeled garlic.  In general, this is suggested to save time/effort when making a base, which also includes blended garlic/ginger, but if you are not too fussy about wanting your g/g base to be pure white and bit-free, it may work for g/g paste as well.

** Phil.

Thanks for that info Phil. Will give that a go. Cheers, mate

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Never peel ginger now for paste etc. as Phil says, just remove any really dry or gnarly bits.  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes