Author Topic: Kashmiri Seekh Kebab  (Read 8728 times)

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Kashmiri Seekh Kebab
« on: February 28, 2013, 03:29 PM »
I often browse online through the food section of the Times of India to see what new recipes are in there. I remember someone once looking for the kebab recipe from the Lahore restaurant in the East End and though I have never pinned that one down, this Kashmiri Kebab recipe from the ToI may be a close thing. I haven't cooked it myself yet and am away from home for a couple of week ends but I will definitely give this a go soon.

Kashmiri Seekh Kebab (serves 4)
Ingredients:
Boneless Lamb 1kg
Saffron 1gm
Turmeric powder 5gm
Kashmiri mirch powder 20gm
Aniseed powder 10gm
Black cumin 10gm
Green coriander 10gm
Onion 100gm
Eggs 2 nos.
Mustard oil 30ml
Garam masala 10gm
Salt to taste

Method:
- Cut mutton boneless into small pieces after washing it
- Add saffron and the remainder of the spices and herb, except eggs, salt and chilli powder
- Mix well and pass through meat mince machine, twice
- Add eggs and mix well
- Add salt and chilli powder as per taste
- Put it on BBQ skewer evenly with wet hands
- Cook it properly on low heat for 8-10 minutes
- Serve with mint sauce and sliced onion

anwesha.mittra@indiatimes.co.in

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Kashmiri Seekh Kebab
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:03 PM »
One to try.

I assume the onions are minced too

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Good question RD, I was assuming finely chopped.

The recipe looks good though with the black cumin, aniseed and mustard oil, right up my street.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 06:53 PM »
Certainly going to try it.  I get my lamb ( horse ) already minced so a quick wizz for the onion in the processor should do the job. That said I do have to get the mincer out when doing C2G kebabs as it also uses a percentage of minced chicken breast. Not convinced onion would go well through the mincer though. Only one way to find out.  ;)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 09:57 PM »
Certainly going to try it.  I get my lamb ( horse ) already minced so a quick wizz for the onion in the processor should do the job. That said I do have to get the mincer out when doing C2G kebabs as it also uses a percentage of minced chicken breast. Not convinced onion would go well through the mincer though. Only one way to find out.  ;)

If your minced-lamb-from-the-butchers is only single-minced, I would be inclined to mince it a second time at home, and to feed the onion in with the lamb which will then act as a carrier.

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 10:21 PM »

If your minced-lamb-from-the-butchers is only single-minced, I would be inclined to mince it a second time at home, and to feed the onion in with the lamb which will then act as a carrier.

** Phil.

I find it never needs a second mincing. By the time you get your hands in there and give it a good mixing squeeze then the consisency is just fine.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 10:27 PM »
I find it never needs a second mincing. By the time you get your hands in there and give it a good mixing squeeze then the consisency is just fine.

Mebbe your butcher can afford to replace his cutters more often than mine !  But I do find that once-minced lamb tends to fall apart when used in a kebab, whilst double-minced sticks very nicely together.

** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 10:34 PM »

Mebbe your butcher can afford to replace his cutters more often than mine !  But I do find that once-minced lamb tends to fall apart when used in a kebab, whilst double-minced sticks very nicely together.

** Phil.

Never had that problem.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 08:26 AM »
I tend to blitz any mince, lamb, beef, horse, in the food processor before using it for meatballs, koftas etc. it does make them smoother. I was once told to add some iced water to the final mix. Cannot remember for the life of me who gave this advice though.

Offline youngisthan

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Great recipe, i think the kashmiri mirchi powder has great flavor and color too which make it more tasty.

©2024 Curry Recipes