Author Topic: Chili Chicken Masala  (Read 12700 times)

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Chili Chicken Masala
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21 PM »
Sorry chris, but oil added at end of curry cooking. Not in any birs that I have been in and I have been in tons and also watched my curry being made

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2013, 01:22 AM »
I can't help but share your "disappointment" RubyDoo! Spiced/Seasoned oils is one of those topics I have been researching lately. Having skimmed some oil from the top of a taz base and re-use it in another taz base (with due filtering) mixed with some pure oil, I wasn't particularly happy with how it came out. I suppose there may be a very obvious reason that is beyond my understanding.

Something tells me that in order to make the spiced oil, one doesn't need to cook for long periods (particularly because this would probably cause the oil to be of less quality when reused, I would imagine). I've seen a few links to recipes, like this one and this one, which don't require an awful lot of cooking, in fact, it's just about enough time for the spices to infuse. I will play around with it to see how far the addition of these oils will fabricate different flavor.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2013, 01:38 AM »
Chris' seasoned oil reminds me of the commercially available "Indian Hot Wok Oil" (AarhusKarlshamn/International Collection). Same colour, maybe even the same or similiar ingredients...? No fishing intended - I don't use seasoned oil, and don't plan to change that ,)

Greetings!

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2013, 04:18 AM »
Sorry chris, but oil added at end of curry cooking. Not in any birs that I have been in and I have been in tons and also watched my curry being made

Can't quote BIR, but this practice is widely used in Australian Indian cooking.

They use the oil from the tomato and onion base gravy as a kind of garnish

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2013, 03:42 PM »
I don't use seasoned oil, and don't plan to change that

Then you're missing out on one of the best flavour enhancers for BIR curries. I make my spiced oil by adding excess oil to each savoury curry I make and that is spooned off at the end of cooking and stored and used as the oil for the next curry. In fact I'd be very surprised if Chris' secret oil isn't made in a similar way, but perhaps all in one batch rather than per curry.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2013, 05:25 PM »
Well, strictly speaking, by using a tadka, you could say I'm using some sort of seasoned oil at leat ;P Must admit that I'm more into the traditional way of cooking a curry, and never even used a base so far! Sometimes I use a few tablespoons of onion bhaji oil, mixed with fresh one to fry some batches of pakora. But I'm not even sure if I've already experienced the real BIR-taste yet (I'm from germany). My favourite curry house, which is said to be the best in whole North Rhine-Westphalia and already more than 30 years in the business, could get close to the taste of british takeaways, but I'm not sure.

Greetings!

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2013, 05:52 PM »
(I'm from germany). My favourite curry house, which is said to be the best in whole North Rhine-Westphalia and already more than 30 years in the business, could get close to the taste of british takeaways, but I'm not sure.
Greetings!

Hi Chonk,
I've eaten curries all over Germany (not through choice) and i can say without a doubt, they're nothing like a BIR. Even though your favourite curry house has 30 years experience, they are catering for the German palette.
All the curries i've eaten over there have been barely spiced and would be similar in flavour to a supermarket curry. In one particular restaurant, the chef was from York so you would've thought the flavours would have been similar but were Miles away from what he might've cooked when he worked in Yorkshire.
On the other hand, you might have a gem there, who knows?  8)

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Well, strictly speaking, by using a tadka, you could say I'm using some sort of seasoned oil at leat ;P Must admit that I'm more into the traditional way of cooking a curry, and never even used a base so far! Sometimes I use a few tablespoons of onion bhaji oil, mixed with fresh one to fry some batches of pakora. But I'm not even sure if I've already experienced the real BIR-taste yet (I'm from germany). My favourite curry house, which is said to be the best in whole North Rhine-Westphalia and already more than 30 years in the business, could get close to the taste of british takeaways, but I'm not sure.

Greetings!

Hi Chonk

Our kitchen hand is German. She says our food is very spicy. She does enjoy it, but if we cook her something to take home she always asks me to cook it without any chilli...lol

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2013, 10:16 PM »
Hi DalPuri!

(I'm from germany). My favourite curry house, which is said to be the best in whole North Rhine-Westphalia and already more than 30 years in the business, could get close to the taste of british takeaways, but I'm not sure.
Greetings!

Hi Chonk,
I've eaten curries all over Germany (not through choice) and i can say without a doubt, they're nothing like a BIR. Even though your favourite curry house has 30 years experience, they are catering for the German palette.

:D

True.

Which cities did you visit? Was talking about the "Taj Mahal" in Bochum. Unlikely, but possible, that you ate there, too (:

All the curries i've eaten over there have been barely spiced and would be similar in flavour to a supermarket curry.

The "Taj" offers a heat range counting from 1 to 6 (with additional halfsteps, e.g. 4+), 3 is explained as pleasantly spicy for the western tongue. There's the inofficial 6+, which is described as "Indian heat". Never checked that out, always take a 4 or 4+. Funny fact: Water from the tap is free, and on the menu it's called "Suicidal tendencies" ;O

Tried some german store-bought curry, and although I believe it was imported and produced in India, it tasted like waste nonetheless and I threw it in the trash. On the other hand, another one I tried, tasted pretty good (Dal Makhani), but was a little bit salty. The last pre-packed one I bought, Rajma masala, from MTR foods India, didn't impress me at all. It wasn't that bad, and I only tried it out to compare to the self-made one, but after that experience, I think I will stop buying pre-packed curries once and for all. Till the next experiment   ::)  :P

On the other hand, you might have a gem there, who knows?  8)

I WANT to know! So, who's sending me some english curry in a carton/cardboard? ;P

Hi Aussie Mick!

Our kitchen hand is German. She says our food is very spicy. She does enjoy it, but if we cook her something to take home she always asks me to cook it without any chilli...lol

Hahaha, sounds german!  ;D

She could get used to it, but not by avoiding all the nice chilis :)

Personally, I enjoy spicy food very much and usually, don't eat german food at all. Wouldn't say that the food is bad, but it's definitely not my favourite taste.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, by the way ,)

Greetings!

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Which cities did you visit? Was talking about the "Taj Mahal" in Bochum. Unlikely, but possible, that you ate there, too (:
It's possible but there's no way i could remember. Just had a look at the front of the restaurant and it looks familiar, but then lots of towns look familiar when you're tired and on the road.   :-\

I WANT to know! So, who's sending me some english curry in a carton/cardboard? ;P
If i was living in London i would happily post you a curry. Two days in the post would be fine.   ;)
But here in Wales, they're not that much better than in Germany.  :P

©2024 Curry Recipes