Author Topic: 5 hours cooking lessons FREE, The taste of Indian TakeAway - Unlocked  (Read 45158 times)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
But for whatever reason he appeared to lose all interest in sharing knowledge, and began to see the forum only as a medium through which to express his frustration and his contempt for anyone with whom he disagreed (or who disagreed with him).

Yes he did and there were very good reasons for why. He got fed up with all the bullshit, something I can well empathise with.

Of anyone here, CA was the most open minded to exploring new ways of doing things, of new knowledge and understanding of how and what we do. What frustrated him was the constant dogma that surrounds what and why people do things. What also used to frustrate him was the constant unsubstantiated nonsense people used to come out with. I read recently in one of his threads someone saying to him, that doesn't look like a Bhuna. He replied, what's a Bhuna supposed to look like, and so a picture of what that person thought was a Bhuna was posted that didn't look anything like a Bhuna! Can you understand why people get frustrated with this nonsense? Can you understand why contempt is shown for that?

What does it matter what a bloody Bhuna looks like as long as it taste like one? This is a problem a lot of people have on here, they're far too hung up on what things look like rather than what it actually tastes like. It's substance, not superficiality.

I've thought for some time that this forum almost splits down the middle between the people who are interested in understanding the processes, the whys and wherefores of cooking and those that don't care and just copy and emulate BIR cooks to create something that broadly looks right. If it looks right, it should taste right, right? I know that's a bit of an oversimplification but that's the best way I can express it.

That's where the angst and conflict comes from - two very different ways of looking at and doing things and when one clashes with the other you get conflict.

Anyway, I think I've derailed poor Chris's thread enough for one day :)

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
So when do you think this book will be available Chris?

Tomorrow if it was just for the peeps on here. But i have to take in to consideration the peeps that have never cooked a curry.  :(

Offline h4ppy-chris

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
But for whatever reason he appeared to lose all interest in sharing knowledge, and began to see the forum only as a medium through which to express his frustration and his contempt for anyone with whom he disagreed (or who disagreed with him).

Yes he did and there were very good reasons for why. He got fed up with all the bullshit, something I can well empathise with.

Of anyone here, CA was the most open minded to exploring new ways of doing things, of new knowledge and understanding of how and what we do. What frustrated him was the constant dogma that surrounds what and why people do things. What also used to frustrate him was the constant unsubstantiated nonsense people used to come out with. I read recently in one of his threads someone saying to him, that doesn't look like a Bhuna. He replied, what's a Bhuna supposed to look like, and so a picture of what that person thought was a Bhuna was posted that didn't look anything like a Bhuna! Can you understand why people get frustrated with this nonsense? Can you understand why contempt is shown for that?

What does it matter what a bloody Bhuna looks like as long as it taste like one? This is a problem a lot of people have on here, they're far too hung up on what things look like rather than what it actually tastes like. It's substance, not superficiality.

I've thought for some time that this forum almost splits down the middle between the people who are interested in understanding the processes, the whys and wherefores of cooking and those that don't care and just copy and emulate BIR cooks to create something that broadly looks right. If it looks right, it should taste right, right? I know that's a bit of an oversimplification but that's the best way I can express it.

That's where the angst and conflict comes from - two very different ways of looking at and doing things and when one clashes with the other you get conflict.

I like what you put there spiceyokooko. good on you.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Think I'll go a cook a Balti.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
This is a problem a lot of people have on here, they're far too hung up on what things look like rather than what it actually tastes like.

I agree with you there! Taste is far more important but we will never know unless there are more meetings where we might actually taste each other's best efforts.

Offline BIR-TY

• Chef
    • View Profile

Well said CA

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Im with spicy on this subject, been told this book is coming and nothing appears, been too many false dawns, so I aint holding my breath.

Good luck if it ever appears, I suspect we will get some sort of excuse for it not coming and also suspect happychris to b on the wind up from another curry forum

Garry

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I believe the proof of the pudding will definitely be in the eating.  I hope for future BIR cooks it is all it promised to be.  Some of the comments posted here are at best premature and some a little unnecessary IMO and serve no purpose.  You can knock it all you like once you've tried it.  And i'm sure certain parties will do just that.  But until it appears and we have the opportunity to review it properly, it amazes me how some people are already in a position to judge it at this point in time  ::)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
I believe the proof of the pudding will definitely be in the eating.  I hope for future BIR cooks it is all it promised to be.  Some of the comments posted here are at best premature and some a little unnecessary IMO and serve no purpose.  You can knock it all you like once you've tried it.  And i'm sure certain parties will do just that.  But until it appears and we have the opportunity to review it properly, it amazes me how some people are already in a position to judge it at this point in time  ::)

Wise words. I couldn't agree more.

©2024 Curry Recipes