Author Topic: A Collection of Naga Pickles  (Read 22725 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
A Collection of Naga Pickles
« on: March 06, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: A Collection of Naga Pickles
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 09:43 AM »
A most comprehensive collection, DP - I didn't realise there were so many. It's obvious that my naga journey is far from over!

Of the ones pictured I have tried three: the ubiquitous and addictive Mr Naga, the extremely fiery but tasty Mr Vikki's Queen Naga, and the Kitchen Magic Bengali Naga, which to be honest doesn't score highly as a flavoursome pickle but is great for adding to dishes during cooking. (Unfortunately no longer available in any of my favourite Asian stores.) 

Of the three, it's Mr Naga to which I constantly return, as it's so versatile. It's not too hot to enjoy as a pickle in its own right, tastes great, and works well when added to dishes. It's also the easiest to get hold of.

I shall try to get hold of some of the others to carry on the quest to discover the perfect naga pickle!

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 12:55 PM »
Mr.Naga was originally made in Bangladesh and imported, due to it's success, the family opened a factory in the UK in the 90's and produce it here.
Nicobena used to be along side Mr.Naga on the shelves, along with Kitchen Magic, I rarely see Nicobena today and kitchen magic vanished years ago.
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8681.msg77166.html#msg77166

I think the new brands are marketed more for the Chilli Heads, rather than the Curry Heads.

The only one I would go for on this list would be the PRAN (import) as I buy their products already.

Will report if I get some.
cheers Chewy

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 01:06 PM »
I've only tried 3 of the above as well SD, and Mr. Naga was the best so far.(the other two being Nicobena and kitchen magic)
Last night i decided to try and dissect the contents.   :P

I think ive identified most of the seeds with a couple of magnifying glasses and a loupe but there is one seed i need help with.
The obvious main spice addition is Panch Phoran.
Here is my list so far:
nigella
yellow mustard
brown mustard
fenugreek
cumin
fennel.

But what are the small white seeds pictured?  hulled sesame seed?  safflower?
The photo shows a chilli seed for perspective.
When gathered and tasted alone, the flavour seems key to the overall taste of the pickle.
I just cant discern the flavour other than they tasted fruity.
They were soft and milky but still had some give. Like a pine nut in texture.
All help appreciated. 

Cheers, Frank.  :)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 03:51 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 01:31 PM »
I can't identify the mystery seeds, Frank, but I must compliment you on your detective work. Great effort! :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 01:35 PM »
There are different varieties of chilli that fall under the Naga label so the seeds are probably the chilli seeds, they're just a bit different.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 01:41 PM »
There are different varieties of chilli that fall under the Naga label so the seeds are probably the chilli seeds, they're just a bit different.

Definitely not chilli seeds. I've been collecting chillies for 30 years.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 01:50 PM »

Do you mean not any type of chilli seeds or just not Naga chillies?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 02:01 PM »

Do you mean not any type of chilli seeds or just not Naga chillies?

Any type SS. Chilli seeds are quite distinctive and remain hard and whole as do tomatoes. These are very different.
I need someone else with a jar of Mr. Naga to separate a few and do a similar taste test.    8)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 02:58 PM »
Well I see what you are referring to and have tasted them. Texture wise they are as you say, but given the heat that comes from them, surely they have to be seed, albeit chopped or blended. It's very hard to tell, they are tiny.

©2024 Curry Recipes