Author Topic: A Collection of Naga Pickles  (Read 22687 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: A Collection of Naga Pickles
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2013, 09:53 AM »
The Pran naga is interesting stuff.  Ingredients:

Hot pepper (naga morrich, salt, vinegar, vegetable oil, mixed spices). 

Extra hot. Product of Bangladesh.

The 400 g jar cost

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Upon searching kushbu on google, the 4th link in the results shows an indian woman top-less (requires some clicking to get there) -- If that's what comes in the jar, can you send me a pallet worth ?  :-X  ;D :D

If this is the image to which you are referring, I'm not sure a standard pallet would be strong enough to support the weight ...
** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2013, 03:58 PM »
Advice: Don't forget to edit your post and add NSFW around it so others won't be caught off guard.

Yes, that seems to be it. I did see the larger scaled picture and as I am at work I did quickly close the tab so I can't be exact. 8)

EDIT: For science, the link I was referring to is this
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 09:48 PM by goncalo »

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 11:32 PM »
Just warmed up a TA leftover curry from the freezer.  Not sure what it was.  Chicken tikka with lots of onions and green peppers. Anyway, mixed in a heaped tsp of the Pran naga.  It is mad hot!  Seems like ghost pepper level.  Instant walrus like hiccups with simultaneous breaking of wind.  Sweating like a good un and bloodshot eyes. Definitely one for the heat lovers.  The oil is weird though.  Has sort of a smoked flavour to it; reminds me a bit of diesel fumes.

Rob  :P 

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 01:56 AM »
Just warmed up a TA leftover curry from the freezer.  Not sure what it was.  Chicken tikka with lots of onions and green peppers. Anyway, mixed in a heaped tsp of the Pran naga.  It is mad hot!  Seems like ghost pepper level.  Instant walrus like hiccups with simultaneous breaking of wind.  Sweating like a good un and bloodshot eyes. Definitely one for the heat lovers.  The oil is weird though.  Has sort of a smoked flavour to it; reminds me a bit of diesel fumes.

Rob  :P

Certainly sounds like fun BB
I'll have a look out for it when I'm shopping,.
Mind you I've got far too many jars of pickle as it is. ::)

On the oil, most Bangladeshi and Pakistani pickles are loaded with Mustard oil
The worst one I ever bought was a brand called "National", Pakistani I think.
Could use it to strip paint or maybe clean the drains ;D
cheers Chewy

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2013, 12:03 PM »

Got this one earlier this week from a Bangladeshi store in Small Heath, Birmingham.  Seems to be selling quite well.  Wonder if it could perhaps be a re-branded version of one of those pictured in the o/p.

Very nice deep flavour.  Mad hot!  At least twice as hot as Mr. Naga, probably more.

Rob  :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Looks like a good drop of gear that Bob.  Only seem to get Mr Naga round this neck of the woods  :(  But as long as that's available, i'm happy  :P ;D

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2013, 04:14 PM »
  At least twice as hot as Mr. Naga, probably more.

Thank God!!! I love the flavour of Mr Naga, but i think the heat levels were made for children under 5 years of age.   ::)  :P

Offline Edwina Curry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 02:51 AM »
Thanks for directing me to this thread DalPuri!

It's funny, I didn't have a macro lens to hand, and haven't photographed them, but I have the small white flat seeds laid out on a yoghurt top lid, just as you did and they look exactly the same! I was going to post  an image when I got round to it to see if anyone knew what they were.

They certainly look similar, but there are a lot of very flat looking versions of the seeds you show in kine, and flax seeds look pointed on one end to me, whereas the ones in mine are more oblong. Need to look again though. Maybe they're split/cracked flaxseeds?

http://www.healthysupplies.co.uk/biona-cracked-linseed-500g.html

I look forward to nipping out and getting some flax seed tomorrow when I get a chance and bashing them about in the mortar and pestle to see how they smell.

Does anyone think that Asafeotdia might be an important ingredient in this?

Also, looking at a list of Bangldeshi spices I noticed mango powder. I'be bought some of that.

I'm convinced that with Mr Naga thy remove the pith and seeds which is why it isn't as hot as it might be, but I'm actually not convinced that it's the spice mix that is responsible for the taste.

I think it's something else like Asafoetida, or whatever. Pretty Asafoetida comes under 'spices'...?

Edit: Also - I'm convinced that the edition of flaxseed among others such as split mustard seeds ( I have definitely seen after dissecting), purely serve to give the appearance of lots of chilli seed and in fact don't add much flavour. Also, I believe there may be radhuni (celery) seeds in there was well. I ate a teaspoon last night and could definitely taste celery.

No cumin that I can see, by the way. But definitely what looks like fennel seed.

Edwina Curry
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:05 AM by Edwina Curry »

Offline Edwina Curry

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2016, 09:43 PM »
Indians make chutneys and add flax seeds to Indian breads like chapatis and parathas.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8508868_indian-names-flax-seeds.html 

Thats good enough for me.  :)

Now that didn't take too long did it. Thanks everyone. Now to find out what powdered spices are in there  :P  ;D ;D ;D

Nope!

After a year or so of experimenting soaking sesame seeds, split flax seeds chia seeds etc, I have found out they are split fenugreek seeds. I know this for sure now because I just made a batch with tons of extra fenugreek seeds in and some of the seeds expanded. When I opened one up I found two of them inside. They are identical and it appears you can actually buy split Fenugreek seeds so you just get these without the casing.

Another couple of years and I'll have the rest nailed.

Edwina Curry

©2024 Curry Recipes