Author Topic: BIR Karahi recipe-anyone any ideas?  (Read 5691 times)

Offline TRAVELMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
BIR Karahi recipe-anyone any ideas?
« on: September 23, 2006, 12:18 PM »
;)

Hi-new here....(!) I LOVE Lamb Karahi! All the local takeaways/restaurants around here (Huddersfield) market it as 'cooked with fresh garlic, onion, ginger & tomato. Highly spiced & delicious!@. I've been cooking curries (& experimenting with base sauces-only one I've used so far is Dhillons which I think, once cooked down, is great as a 'base' to add other spices to) for years but can't get the 'intensity', 'strongness of flavour' 'savouriness' (all curry addicts will know what I mean!). Any ideas-say for example using the Dhillon base?

Thanks!

Chris

Offline laynebritton

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: BIR Karahi recipe-anyone any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 01:03 PM »
but can't get the 'intensity', 'strongness of flavour' 'savouriness' (all curry addicts will know what I mean!).

Thanks!

Chris
Yes we know exactly what you mean  ::)

We refer to this as THE TASTE a very common phrase we use on this forum.
Layne 8)

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 02:53 AM »
Karahi - vindaloo - and rogan gosh  are three of the dishes where I do not incorporate a base sauce... I prefer to make them from scratch using the more traditional recipes . This is  a personal preference based on the taste outcome....others may differ - but I much prefer the taste that is created . This is one of the unique benefits of this site....we are all free to experiment and incorporate either traditional or BIR recipes and find a taste that pacifies our palate . The true defintion of BIR is rather broad ( to say the least ) . The taste can vary from region to region...it is just a question of - what do you like !

Offline TRAVELMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 09:30 AM »
 ;) Again-cheers for the replies!

Had a lamb karai AGAIN last night (good job I go to the gym a lot!-got it from a new takeaway on Manchester road in Huddersfield-Euroasia (fab food)-& 'their taste' (a sort of robust, strong taste I could not put my finger on-not in 2 other karais I'd had from 2 other places)-answer....black cardoman! Crunched on one (!) & found another-obviously strong/robust in flavour anyway but 2 for 1 person  (obviously cooked with other spices-deffo curry sauce basic as watched em cook it!) is a lot-but flavour did not over dominate & was a good part of that beloved 'strong' taste. 

Offline TRAVELMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2006, 09:21 AM »
Update....found 4 cloves.....1 bay leaf in my karai today....no cardoman this time! Guess a different chef but still great STRONG flavour....I'd personally put cardoman in as well! Once I'm stocked up on sauce (!) will try a recipe & report back!

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2006, 02:10 PM »
Yes it's a funny thing. Years ago when I first started eating curries I always used to find whole spices in them, now I rarely if ever find any.

One thing I will say though is that I really don't think whole spices make any diffrence to the overall taste of a curry at all. I actually made two identical curries but in one I fried some cloves, cardamom and cinnamon stick first. The result, I couldn't detect any difference at all.
I think they have a place in authentic indian cooking where the cooking time is generally longer, but I reckon they are more for show in Indian restaurant meals.

YF

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 02:35 PM »
I find whole spices from time to time in my curries, I dont think they are added in the final dish stage I believe they are present in the base and havent been fished out.

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 08:07 PM »
I hope this helps.  I think we all know that Kharai refers to the cooking pot used (Khadai) like the Wok.  Most of these dishes are a step up from Bhuna (which means dry fried) and use a reduced sauce.  I have included a classic Punjabi dish given to me by a good friend. It is very interesting and easy/quick to make.  It works best with Lamb, you can use other meats but don't play around with the ingredients until you have made your first dish as described.

Good luck
CP

Shahida?s Kharai Quorma

This is a rich fragrant curry that is quite mild.  It is normally cooked for special guests and occasions.   The secret of its flavour is to cook it slowly on a low heat.

INGREDIENTS

Amount   Ingredient
2 LLB   Lean Lamb cut into 2? ? 3? pieces. (beef rump or fillet may be used)
3   Large Spanish or red onions chopped very finely
3 tbsp   Coriander seeds (freshly ground)
2 tsp   Chili powder
5   Green Coriander seeds (crushed)
4   Cloves (whole)
4   Black Pepper corns (whole)
375ml   Fresh yoghurt (live/organic preferred)
375ml   Ghee (butter ghee preferred)
1 tsp   Salt (adjust to taste)

Method
1.   Melt Ghee in a heavy pan.  When it starts to smoke add the onions. TAKE EXTREME CARE AS THE STEAM GENERATED CAN SCALD.

2.   Fry onions gently on a medium heat until they become transparent and start to brown ? do not allow to burn.

3.   Turn heat up and add the crushed Cardamoms (including husks of the pods) and other spices to the onions and stir for about one minute.  The salt is added later. Make sure the spices do not catch or burn.  Reduce the heat to its lowest level and cook for another minute or two, e.g. until the oil starts to separate from the mixture.

4.   Increase heat to medium and when the mixture starts to bubble or sizzle add the yoghurt slowly and in small amounts.  The best way is to add one tablespoon of yoghurt and mix in quickly then wait fro the oil to separate/rise; this takes a few seconds. When all the yoghurt has been added keep stirring, reduce the heat, and cook for a few minutes or until the oil and mixture separates and the oil rises to the top.

5.   Add the salt to the mixture which will be quite thick at this point and prone to sticking and burning so take care and stir regularly.

6.   Increase the heat to medium and wait fro the mixture to bubble or sizzle.  Add the meat a few pieces at a time so that the heat does not drop significantly.  Put a lid on the pan and reduce the heat to low, and leave to simmer for another 5 minutes.  Stir occasionally to stop it sticking.

The next stage is critical to the success of the dish so take great care.  The meat will have started to release its water content so do not be tempted to add a lot of liquid during the next stage.

7.   Slowly add water or milk in very small amounts (about 2-3 tblsps) while stirring the mixture until you have a consistency like double cream.  If add too much you will breakdown the spices too quickly and spoil the dish so take your time and err on the side of caution.

8.   Cook on the stove or in and oven on a very low heat (oven 80C ? 100C) until the meat is cooked; about an hour (Beef may take a little longer).  If you are serving the dish later then remove from the heat after 40 minutes and reheat slowly later.
Notes
a)   You can use half ghee, and half groundnut oil or sunflower oil if you wish but the final flavour will not be the same.

b)   You can add one or two cloves of finely chopped garlic to the onions if you wish

c)   Just before serving you can add a couple of drops of Rhu Kewra (Indian Rose Water Essence) to give the dish and authentic Asian flavour and aroma.

d)   Alternatively sprinkle about a teaspoon of freshly chopped Coriander leaves over instead of the Rose Water.

e)   Serve with Nan bread and/or plain basmati rice.
[/color]

Offline woodpecker21

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2006, 09:52 PM »
{I LOVE Lamb Karahi}
try the recipe for chicken khorai which i posted it does not incorporate a curry sauce so was deemed by the peeps or should i sat dismissed on this site as an authentic dish ??? but it is listed on most menus in restaurants as a special or a favourite. anyway no harm in trying it?

regards
gary

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 04:30 AM »
Just a little clarification on Chilli Prawns recipe for Shahida?s Kharai Quorma - did you really mean five green coriander seeds crushed ( in the ingredients ) or was it intended to be cardamom as stated in the method ?  :)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 04:32 AM by CurryCanuck »

©2024 Curry Recipes