Author Topic: filtering oil  (Read 9425 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
filtering oil
« on: March 12, 2013, 07:49 PM »
So I have some spiced oil ready to be filtered, but the only method I know of,  consists essentially of using filter cloths takes AGES. I'm sure next week I will still be filtering the about half-litre I have of spiced oil and was looking for any ideas/tips on how to speed this up? I have an idea... multiple recipients/cloths.

Also, for the bits that have already passed through the filter, I can still see presence of something in the oil that doesn't belong there, of whitish color (or maybe it does)

Any thoughts?

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: filtering oil
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 08:04 PM »
I don't actually filter my oil at all, Goncalo (just leave it in a jar, allow any sediment to settle, and then decant carefully when needed), but if I were to do so I would use only a fine metal sieve; most definitely not a cloth or paper filter which are (IMHO) far too fine a mesh for something like cooking oil.

** Phil.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 08:11 PM »
I use coffee filter papers, ASDA, when I make Chilli Oil or Masala Oil.
It obviously does take time, but I don't stand there and watch/wait for it :D

cheers Chewy

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 08:13 PM »
I use one of these and one of these

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 09:34 PM »
Use a single layer of muslin (cheese cloth) as your filtration media. ;)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 11:40 PM »
thanks :) I think I'll give cheesecloth a try. I'm not watching the the coffee cloths, but everytime I take a peek it's like nothing happened..hence I was looking for a quicker solution... oh well, pain necessary to know.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 06:21 PM »
The technique for filtering through a fine mesh is a jerking movement. This is because all the small particles block the holes stopping the liquid passing through. Lift and drop the liquid to make it pass through quickly as if you were bouncing it in the filter.
You dont have to wait for hours for a slow drip, but if using paper filters, make sure the filter is supported. i.e. with a sieve or a deep filter holder.

Or you could buy one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-100-MICRON-FILTER-BAGS-BIO-DIESEL-VEG-OIL-W-V-O-/170993719829?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27d0051a15

A larger mesh size than a coffee filter but still finer than any sieve and more than enough to catch all the sludge.

Not sure how felt holds up to jerking but they are washable and reusable. Better off with nylon or poly i reckon.
A coffee filter is generally between 10 and 30 microns. Not necessary for spiced oil unless you want to put it in your car.  :P (5 micron being ideal)

This one would be similar in mesh size to a coffee filter.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130851907630?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Cheers, Frank.  :)

« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 08:37 PM by DalPuri »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 04:22 PM »
Now that i think about the mesh size of the average coffee filter, i dont think its a good idea.
Its not something i would do myself anyway. I just let the solids fall to the bottom and spoon off without using any filter. And if i do filter, it will be through muslin.

I would say dont use anything less than 100 microns because i think you will be filtering out some flavour.

Frank.  ;)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 02:35 AM »
Thanks a lot DP! I was today at a wedding and was trying to convince the bride to let me use her a veil to do the filtering of the oil at home!  ::) :D ;D  8)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 09:58 PM »
So I opened the container where I stored the sieved oil from bombay potatoes, precooked with ifindforu's method and noticed there appears to be an emulsion or simply 2 layers to it. Now, I do remember topping up the spiced oil with fresh/unused oil, but I  was expecting the 2 would mix. I also had a sniff and it doesn't smell of anything other than oil. Any thoughts?

Top view:

side view

©2024 Curry Recipes