Author Topic: What is your favorite mix powder and why?  (Read 12998 times)

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favorite mix powder and why?
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 05:39 PM »
Hi mate,

ok here is the exact mix i wrote down in my notes approx 4 years ago.

coriander powder -  2 parts
cumin powder - 1 part
paprika powder-  2 parts
curry powder  3 parts
 tumeric powder  4 parts
 from the best bir ta in hastings east sussex from a really nice head chef who inspired my cooking
even to this day.

buy the best paprika you can find, it makes a difference. cheap paprika is crappy crappy  :)

i found swartz mild curry powder worked well (this is what they use)  or rajah mild madras curry powder
is very good.   bolst mild curry powder works well to.

always use fresh spices no older than 6 months and store in small air tight container.

enjoy

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Original is here.
** Phil.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 06:37 PM »
I've never given too much thought into the mix powder, but I would imagine if your base already contains coriander and your mix powder is high on coriander, that's going to round the flavor a little if not overpowering it.

i missed the importance of mix powder too. it's well worth making a few and wet finger tasting even if you don't cook with them. i have no proof but i am sure lots of turmeric is what's in BIR mix. it's a subject i intend at some point to revisit. if you make the cumin 1 unit it's much easier to compare the various mixes. the DD & mouchak have 4 off units of turmeric. my gut feeling is that 6 units might be even better.

on the base spicing your on the right track for sure. coriander i find is quite tolerant in base. again i don't have any proof but i don't like to add "mix powder" spicing to a base for the very reason you state.

we still have lots to learn.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 07:20 PM »
If we accept the notion that simple is best when it comes to a base sauce and corresponding mix powder; what combination posted on the forum meets this criteria and generally gets favourable reviews?

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 07:27 PM »
Seems well over on the turmeric to me this one. Simple but heavy haldi.  ;)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 07:38 PM »

But do remember Bruce Edward's assertion, re-cited here recently, that he could make a perfectly acceptable curry using only turmeric, salt and pepper : no other spices.  Think what you will of BE, that point is worth bearing in mind.

** Phil.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 07:45 PM »

But do remember Bruce Edward's assertion, re-cited here recently, that he could make a perfectly acceptable curry using only turmeric, salt and pepper : no other spices.  Think what you will of BE, that point is worth bearing in mind.

** Phil.

Are you sure he mentioned salt?  ;)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 08:09 PM »

** Phil.

Yes but we don't want acceptable curries. We want better than acceptable surely. Otherwise see the thread about the  shop bought rubbish. ( which I have purposely restricted my typing fingers over )  ;) but the idd one of which I agree may be considered ' acceptable ' , at best.

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2013, 08:17 PM »
Just out of curiosity RD, why do you find CA's mix too over-powering? It seems pretty similiar to a lot of mix powders on here.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2013, 08:34 PM »
Yes but we don't want acceptable curries. We want better than acceptable surely.

Umm, yes we do. But, and it's a big but, how do you define acceptable and at what point does over-spicing (a common practice) degrade the taste and flavour of a dish and at what point does simplicity start to improve it?

Phil I think is referring to my recent comment regarding Bruce Edward's assertion and I made it with respect to Saag Bhaji, which can be made quite simply with just turmeric , salt and pepper. Simple spicing, but surprisingly good result and somewhat better than 'acceptable'.

Personally, I prefer to make Saag bhaji with 1/2 tsp of mix powder, salt and a chef spoon of base sauce, but you don't have to make it with those ingredients and many here produce pretty good results with simpler ingredients.

It's important also to remember I think that most generic curry powders contain large quantities of turmeric in them which is by far the largest single component, which makes it a pretty important spice in Indian flavouring. No surprise then that most mix powders seem to follow that rule too, which does rather suggest that other spice components play a smaller role in the flavouring.

BE's comment I think highlights that you can make an acceptable curry dish without any other spice other than turmeric, salt and pepper, but you probably couldn't make an acceptable one without turmeric.

©2024 Curry Recipes