Author Topic: Tonight's meal - Chicken Baguni  (Read 8093 times)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's meal - Chicken Baguni
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2013, 04:38 PM »
Axe. Apologies for missing it. It was a miss rather than an ignore and I gave to say that if it tastes as good as it looks then great. I am a bit unadventurous when it comes to veg in curry but this could tempt me big time.  :D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 05:10 PM »
HI RD, no need to apologise, it's not everyone's cup of tea, I think I was just keen to get others opinions.

I'm half tempted to try the brinjal bhaji meat combo tonight, but i'm not sure my waste line will like it! ???

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 05:33 PM »
HI RD, no need to apologise, it's not everyone's cup of tea, I think I was just keen to get others opinions.

I'm half tempted to try the brinjal bhaji meat combo tonight, but i'm not sure my waste line will like it! ???

Know what you mean.. I am up in front of the naughty nurse nest week re cholesterol.  Doh . Not that bad but my ears are already prepared.  :D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Know what you mean.. I am up in front of the naughty nurse nest week re cholesterol.  Doh . Not that bad but my ears are already prepared.  :D

Good luck with that, take ear plugs. ;)

Offline gary

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2013, 08:00 PM »
I think it looks great :)

Pat Chapman had a recipe in Favourite Restaurant Curries for his version of Achar Gosht; it used brinjal pickle, he claimed it was a Nepalese version of the dish.

It was really just a basic lamb curry with about a tablespoon of brinjal pickle added per individual portion.

I recall it being quite nice, though a bit heavy and sweet/sticky.

N.B. As far as I know, most restaurants/takeaways just use a spoon of the sauce oil from a tub of mixed pickle for Achar Gosht while home cooks use dried pickling masala - but not brinjal pickle.

Gary

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 11:49 PM »
Ok so after all this I decided to return to the Shanaz with the intention of asking for a brinjal bhaji with lamb. I spoke to Ali about my experience with the Baguni and went on to ask for my alternative dish. At this point Ali offered to cook me a dish himself. I had no idea what would arrive but I had complete faith in him.

What I was served was probably the finest ever non BIR, BIR curries I have ever eaten. The difference with this dish though, there is no base in it! Ali did say how they would refer to this which sounded like rezza but I really struggled to get the right sound of the word. Anyway, this dish had a nice crunchy bite from the onions, the aubergine added its smoky character, crunchy pepper added a sweetness and plenty of spicing fuelled the kick. The lamb which had been chopped into small pieces was flavourful and very delicious.

This is by far one of the best dishes I have ever eaten and went extremely well with a paratha.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2013, 11:51 PM »
It was really just a basic lamb curry with about a tablespoon of brinjal pickle added per individual portion.

Thanks Gary that sounds very interesting. I've never had brinjal pickle and will look out for it.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2013, 12:32 AM »

This is by far one of the best dishes I have ever eaten and went extremely well with a paratha.

Was this a main dish Malc?
Nice pic by the way. But it looks more like a close up of a dollop of chutney/onion marmalade and one of those breads from the sri lankan i used to go to. A white flour i think they must use.
Did it need a yogurt dip with it at all?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:11 AM by DalPuri »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Hi Frank,

Yes it was a main, I guess the picture is a little deceptive. The paratha in the back ground is roughly 11 inches or 28cm in diameter and the plate they are served on is a standard dinner plate.

Did it need a yoghurt dip?

That's something that I found quite interesting as I really didn't feel the need for a yoghurt dip, especially when you consider I had it with the paratha. I worked my way through the entire plate not once thinking it was too dry. I did entertain the notion of grabbing a mint yoghurt from the fridge (left over from a few days ago), but only because the first few mouthfuls had kicked my senses with chilli.

I have always gone with wet main and dry side or dry main wet side, this dish has totally blown that theory for me.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I know what it reminds me of! Chicken fajita!
Thats why i was thinking of creamy type dip.. . Guacamole/sour cream   8)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:37 AM by DalPuri »

©2024 Curry Recipes