Author Topic: Tonight's meal - Chicken Baguni  (Read 8079 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tonight's meal - Chicken Baguni
« on: March 19, 2013, 10:04 PM »
Courtesy of the Shanaz, tonight's meal is a Chicken Baguni, which I have nick named the Zonda. :)

The dish is essentially a madras with chicken tikka, tomatoes and aubergine. Its a wonderful dish, if a little heavy heavy on the oil.

Not I a dish I was familiar with and it isn't on their standard menu. Has anyone tried this dish or indeed has a bonafide recipe. I don't think it will be hard to replicate, but thought i'd ask.

Oh and it was devoured with a Tandoori Roti and onion salad. ;)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tonight's meal - Chicken Baguni
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Does it look that bad that noone has any comment or is it that it was cooked in a BIR? I am honestly confused, I thought it would get a response or two. Oh well. :-\

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:38 PM »
Never seen this on any menu. My kind of dish as it has brinjal. Looks like a madras with a brinjal bhaji thrown in and mixed around.  It's one i could experiment with at some stage :D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54 PM »
Thanks for the response CH, I must admit I had to photoshop the image as I had used my phone to take the pic. The actual sauce was a little darker in colour, perhaps the red tinge is slightly off putting. But it taste good.

On my 'to have again' list for certain.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:10 PM »
I'm also not a big fan of brinjal. I accidentally bought the brinjal pickle and nearly puked, but I tell you that if I had that curry in front of me, I'd force myself to try it. Awesome presentation :-)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:14 PM »
Awesome presentation :-)

Lid off, dolloped on plate, you little rascal you , why I oughta..... ;) :P ;D

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:15 PM »
Looks nice and I have to agree with Curryhell with his description. I think that would be quite easy to have a shot at. I love aubergines in Indian food (amongst a big list of other things)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:19 PM »
Awesome presentation :-)

Lid off, dolloped on plate, you little rascal you , why I oughta..... ;) :P ;D

Ahah, you are being too hard on yourself!  ::)  :P  ;D

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Hi Malc
Doesn't look too shabby to me ;) a dish I'm familiar with.

For my taste though, the tomatoes would probably kill this dish for me, and although its cooked
Bhuna style I'd want it a bit thicker/dryer and not so much methi.

A few places do this around here under the name Baigon Gosht or Tikka, heavy on the ginger
and coriander. No tomatoes though.

Bangladeshi Chefs have a bad habit of deep frying the Aubergine briefly, before adding it to the pan
which mops up the oil like a sponge, then breaks down and releases into the curry, which gives it
a soggy mush texture, delicious but never looks good on camera.

I go through phases with some veg, I tend to over eat it, then I don't touch it for months.
Aubergine is one of them, love it in a Bhuna, Stuffed, Baked, Bhaji and a simple Bengali Fry is a fave.

cheers Chewy

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the comments and I tend to agree with your observations. I had never tried the dish prior to this only because they had told me they deep fry the aubergine first. But I do like aubergine, I just had to give it a go. As you say, they leech the oil back into the dish which was very off putting and made the sauce quite loose.

I had in my mind that the dish would be more like a brinjal bhaji with chicken in it, but it clearly wasn't. Infact, that sounds quite good to me, I will get them to make that for me next time. I like the idea of the lamb too, sounds like a perfect combo to me Brinjal Gosht. :)

The Bengali Fry is one of my favourites too. Some TA's here offer this complimentary with your order. I know it as Brinjal Fry but i'm sure they are the same, thinly sliced aubergine deep fried in batter.

Cheers,

Malc.

©2024 Curry Recipes