Author Topic: goncalo's BIR food diary  (Read 24458 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
goncalo's BIR food diary
« on: March 20, 2013, 09:42 PM »
So I've decided to keep my ventures to a single thread, rather than opening one new every time. I will document here my experiments, successes and failures and ideas for the future.

I got some scotish smoked salmon from lidl and decided to give "Salmon Ceylon" a try, using some left-over coconut&ginger rice to further accentuate the coconut flavors and a peshwari naan that my girlfriend brought from a restaurant we are going to try tomorrow night. The result was FAB, the only thing missing being the BIR flavor.

I made a marinate on the spot, which I wasn't sure was going to come together well. After tasting the salmon, I thought it came together beautifully.

Salmon Marinade:

2 tbsp of tomato puree
2 tsp of tandoori masala
1 tsp of mr. naga
1 tsp of Rajah All Purpose Seasoning
1 hpd tsp mix powder (CBM's mix powder #2)
1.5 hpd tsps of g&g
juice of half-lemon
pinch of methi, rubbed to fine powder

Everything into a bowl and whisk until everything is fully mixed and cover the salmon with it and let it seat for at least 10mins. Allows for 2 reasonably alrge portions of salmon, 4 if only using on the top side

Salmon Ceylon:

1. Turn the flame up to medium heat, wait 30 seconds, add oil.
2. Add g&g and wait until it finishes sizzling
3. Add tomato sauce cook it for 15-30 seconds
4. Add salt, fenugreek, mix powder, chilli... mix well.
5. Add a ladle of base
6. Crush 25gm of creamed coconut block over the pan
7. Add another ladle of base to help loosen the sauce which should be looking reduced but creamy by now
8. Add the salmon and let it cook in the sauce undisturbed for 2 minutes, mix seldomly
9. Add fresh tomato and/or coriander
10. Add lemon juice to taste

My girlfriend surprised me with this peshwari. Now, the looks can be deceiving and this is possibly one of the best peshwari naans I've had.

Meal Rating: 4.5/5

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: goncalo's BIR food diary
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47 PM »
Well done for giving it ago, how do you rate the Mr Naga? I seriously think you need to work on your presentation though :P But actually, the curry sauce looks good and I would have gladly dived in. ;)

Was the Naan home made or bought in?

Look forward to your culinary curry journey. :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 09:57 PM »
A little confused, Goncalo (or perhaps very confused); what made you choose smoked salmon as the basis for your salmon Ceylon as opposed to fresh salmon ?  For me, the whole joy of smoked salmon is that you eat it just as it comes (i.e., without cooking); I really cannot imagine what it must taste like cooked ...

** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 10:05 PM »
Thanks axe! My presentation skills are, admittedly, a work in progress (just as my cooking skills in general)!

The Mr Naga was the overpowering flavour/smell in yesterday's curry which I don't think I like that much. In this marinade I didn't find it overpowering, the heat was there, but the flavour/smell wasn't discernible. One thing I found "strange" is that my girlfriend as soon as she sampled the salmon, she immediately ran looking for a drink and cursing simultaneously. I found the heat was way way below the threshold on this dish, to the point I didn't notice there was heat until she mentioned it. It was really mild nevertheless. That got me thinking about how tolerant to heat I might be. 1.5 tsp of mr. naga don't seem to do much for the heat. In fairness, I was expecting more capsaicin power and less flavour out of this pickle :)

The naan was bought from a restaurant called Himalaya Tandoori. We are having dinner there tomorrow. A friend of my girlfriend that lived in London and is big into indian food, rates this restaurant as the best in Dublin and so X marks the spot and I shall be reviewing it!

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09 PM »
A little confused, Goncalo (or perhaps very confused); what made you choose smoked salmon as the basis for your salmon Ceylon as opposed to fresh salmon ?  For me, the whole joy of smoked salmon is that you eat it just as it comes (i.e., without cooking); I really cannot imagine what it must taste like cooked ...

The purists fish mongers will do just what you do, I personally prefer my salmon crispy. I can't think of eating fish that still has a lot of raw/ocean tastes and smells to it, just a matter of preference I suppose.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 10:22 PM »
I'm afraid i'm with Phil on the hot smoked salmon, though I have never tried smoked salmon in a curry, so can I ask, did you taste the smokiness of the fish in the curry? I know from my last experience, the Ceylon is quite potent and you also put Naga pickle in it. My concern is that there is quite alot going on for a mild mannered smoked salmon to be appreciated. Of course we all have different tastes, but I am interested in your reply to this. My head is buzzing with options here though, monk fish tikka for one.  :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36 PM »
The purists fish mongers will do just what you do, I personally prefer my salmon crispy. I can't think of eating fish that still has a lot of raw/ocean tastes and smells to it, just a matter of preference I suppose.

OK, cripsy salmon has a lot going for it (grilled salmon steaks served with Lyonnaise potatoes & ma

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 10:59 PM »
but in a sandwich made of Hovis(R) Original Wheatgerm bread with cucumber slices so thin you could read The Times through them, lightly drizzled with a little lemon juice and a good grind of fresh black pepper........).

Keep talking like that Phil  :P

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 11:02 PM »
I'm afraid i'm with Phil on the hot smoked salmon, though I have never tried smoked salmon in a curry, so can I ask, did you taste the smokiness of the fish in the curry? I know from my last experience, the Ceylon is quite potent and you also put Naga pickle in it. My concern is that there is quite alot going on for a mild mannered smoked salmon to be appreciated. Of course we all have different tastes, but I am interested in your reply to this. My head is buzzing with options here though, monk fish tikka for one.  :)

Yes, there is a "smoked" flavour that seems to prevade into the curry which I very much liked. I am generally modest when I rate my food, because no matter what, I'm rarely ever close to my ambitions. I do think this time the only thing missing was the "BIR" flavor and then again, I could just not be perceiving it due to a lot of things going on in the kitchen.

OK, cripsy salmon has a lot going for it (grilled salmon steaks served with Lyonnaise potatoes & ma

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 11:33 PM »
How was your tandoori salmon served, in thin slices or as tikka or a whole fillet?

Thinly sliced hot smoked salmon is not raw, it is cured with hot smoke. It is delicate and can be enjoyed with many pairings. Probably better to Google it than let me ramble on about it though. ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes