Author Topic: goncalo's BIR food diary  (Read 24585 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: goncalo's BIR food diary
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2013, 02:56 AM »
Chicken Bhuna

I've made yet another batch of Saffron's/SnS base sauce and in a hurry made a bhuna. I've par-fried some onion and peppers in a separate pan until the edges start to brown and then thrown into the  main pan with chicken.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2013, 08:55 AM »
That looks a nice curry, Goncalo, but for me at least (an "old-school" curry man), the dish is far too wet to be a bhuna as I know the dish.  The bhunas that I used to eat and love were dry(ish) dishes, no wetter than a good mushroom bhaji, and were certainly not swimming in sauce as yours is.  The colour looks right, though, so I would be interested to see a future version in which you used no more than (say 15% of the sauce that you used to make this one, and in which you focussed on cooking the dish in oil and the meat's own juices rather than in a base.

** Phil.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2013, 10:55 AM »
I intentionally added an extra ladle (generally would add only 1.5 and reduce until it clings around the meat) as the missus likes it saucy. After a long day cooking, chopping, precooking, etc. when you are done blending/simmering the base it's already late enough at night that food does not have to be perfect, it just has to be! :)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2013, 11:10 AM »
Understood !

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2013, 08:53 PM »
My missus loves plenty of sauce too and whilst I always try to make sure she gets plenty  ;) she would actually devour a plate of rice and sauce alone if there was no meat in it. 

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Bombay Aloo + Chicken Shatkora using Mouchak base

The picture quality and my cheffing abbilities are crap an does not make justice to the actual dish. Easily among the top 2 or 3 of my best curries ever and this is not to say I made the best yet, but quite sure a huge improvement. I am certainly sold on the mouchak base and mix powder (Although, as the actual recipe has the "akhni water" in a separate comment, I didn't write that to paper before going to the kitchen and did not do. Next time I'll try with some garam masala.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2013, 12:12 AM »
Thought I'd prepare tomorrow's lunch ahead of time and re-done the same curry, this time with fresh chillies.

I also added 2 slices of shatkora instead of just one.

©2024 Curry Recipes