Author Topic: Chasing separated oil off a curry  (Read 19586 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Chasing separated oil off a curry
« on: March 21, 2013, 02:13 PM »
Here is a little tip the chef at my local TA has shown me to speed up removal of excess separated oil from a curry.

When your curry is nearly ready, carefully (off heat) tilt the pan towards you (e.g. at an angle of about 30 degrees or so).  The separated oil on the surface of the curry will slowly start to run downwards.  To speed things up, pour/drizzle a small amount of base gravy over your curry (with a chef

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Chasing separated oil off a curry
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:16 PM »
Thanks for that tip Rob, sounds like a good little technique.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 03:58 PM »
my curries have been thick in consistency so that'd be fine by me. I'm not sure I followed the whole method that is required to extract the oil. I am going to give it a try with my next batch of base, which I haven't decided about yet.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 04:41 PM »
my curries have been thick in consistency so that'd be fine by me. I'm not sure I followed the whole method that is required to extract the oil. I am going to give it a try with my next batch of base, which I haven't decided about yet.

I think this is meant for a finished curry in the pan rather than a base. Sorry if I have this wrong. :D

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 05:00 PM »

I think this is meant for a finished curry in the pan rather than a base. Sorry if I have this wrong. :D

Ha, fair mistake. I meant that I don't have any base left to kick off a new curry, hence first things first.. :D

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:30 PM »

Ha, fair mistake. I meant that I don't have any base left to kick off a new curry, hence first things first.. :D

Feck.  :D ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes