Author Topic: Using Up Patak's Curry Paste's  (Read 6792 times)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Using Up Patak's Curry Paste's
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:53 AM »
http://www.pataks.co.uk/recipes/chicken-chilli-masala.aspx

I used to make this before I joined the forum and I knew no better!!  To my untrained palette it was perfectly edible still expect to be so, although not as tasty as my efforts.

However, every time I open my fridge I see the hallf empty jars of Madras paste and tikka masala paste, so I'm determined to finish them off my making this dish a few more times.

If you were compelled to do likewise, what would you add to improve the dish?

I thought maybe tsp garlic/ginger, tsp mix powder and tsp of Mr Naga would enhance it.

Appreciate your thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 11:51 AM by uclown2002 »

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Patak's Curry
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 10:26 AM »
Hi

Spring is (supposed to be) in the air!

How about making it into some marinade with little yoghurt and lemon juice etc. - marinade some chicken pieces and fire up the BBQ?

Cheers 

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 10:30 AM »
In between my two "gravy periods" in my curry cooking, i went through a few Pataks pastes.
I found the Biriyani paste to be the best and added after the "trinity" (onion/garlic/ginger) would make a really good and simple Bombay Aloo using boiled potatoes.

Van Frank.  ;)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:44 AM »
Hi

How about making it into some marinade with little yoghurt and lemon juice etc. - marinade some chicken pieces and fire up the BBQ?

Cheers

BBQ ffs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655591?day=0

That is where I live  :)

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 11:46 AM »
In between my two "gravy periods" in my curry cooking, i went through a few Pataks pastes.
I found the Biriyani paste to be the best and added after the "trinity" (onion/garlic/ginger) would make a really good and simple Bombay Aloo using boiled potatoes.

Van Frank.  ;)

Thanks but I'm not looking to add to my collection of pastes, merely want to use up those listed above.

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Hi

Cheers

BBQ [sake...]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2655591?day=0

That is where I live  :)

Meh - fair weather BBQ'ers  ;)

I've been BBQ'ing all winter even in the snow  8)

Cheers
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:02 PM by solarsplace »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 12:18 PM »

Van Frank.  ;)

Thanks but I'm not looking to add to my collection of pastes, merely want to use up those listed above.

Ok then, how about this.
This is a very simple recipe i nicked off my aunt.

Chick Pea Curry

Fry off 1 onion, add some fresh chopped garlic and ginger.
Add 2 dessert spoons of mild madras curry paste, a squirt of tom puree, 2 tins of chick peas, 1 tin of tomatoes, 1/2 block creamed coconut, juice of a lemon(unwaxed and thrown into the pot)
season with salt and pepper and simmer for 30-40 mins. Add water if necessary.
Finish with a handful of fresh coriander.

Can be eaten hot OR cold as a party side dish.

Very mild as curry but Always goes down a treat with everyone including kids! Guaranteed to be the first empty bowl on the buffet table. ;)

« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 12:33 PM by DalPuri »

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Using Up Patak's Curry Paste's
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 03:24 PM »
Thanks again but the cupboard is i have no chick peas.  I'll bear in mind for the future though as still get quites a lot to use up.

I was rather hoping for some advice on enhancing the published recipe on my supplied link, as I'm keen to revisit it.  I suggested tsp each of g/g, mix powder, and mr naga as I didn't want to overpower the dish, given that I'll be using madras paste and tikka masala paste.

Any thoughts on my suggestion, or an amendment?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Thanks again but the cupboard is i have no chick peas.  I'll bear in mind for the future though as still get quites a lot to use up.

I was rather hoping for some advice on enhancing the published recipe on my supplied link, as I'm keen to revisit it.  I suggested tsp each of g/g, mix powder, and mr naga as I didn't want to overpower the dish, given that I'll be using madras paste and tikka masala paste.

Sorry, aside from the recipe i gave i can only suggest to carry on experimenting along the same path as you are.
The only paste i ever found useful was the mild madras.
Even now that i have all the BIR Pataks pastes for marinades, i'm really starting to go off them.
I've been thinking about this for weeks now and believe my best ever tikkas and tandoori were achieved with a combination of Kris Dhillon and Madhur Jaffrey recipes using individual spices and yogurt.

Not much help i know.

Offline uclown2002

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 04:12 PM »

Sorry, aside from the recipe i gave i can only suggest to carry on experimenting along the same path as you are.
The only paste i ever found useful was the mild madras.
Even now that i have all the BIR Pataks pastes for marinades, i'm really starting to go off them.
I've been thinking about this for weeks now and believe my best ever tikkas and tandoori were achieved with a combination of Kris Dhillon and Madhur Jaffrey recipes using individual spices and yogurt.

Not much help i know.

I appreciate it regardless so ty

©2024 Curry Recipes