Author Topic: Rajver curry gravy(revisited)  (Read 10921 times)

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Rajver curry gravy(revisited)
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2011, 07:40 PM »
In the absence of hob and frying pan at work, the only way to get curry is to  cook it, transport it and then commit sacrilege and put it in the ding (Essex term, maybe, for the microwave) ;D
The pan is on the stove as i type :P

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2011, 07:44 PM »
In the absence of hob and frying pan at work, the only way to get curry is to  cook it, transport it and then commit sacrilege and put it in the ding (Essex term, maybe, for the microwave) ;D
Ah, dialect : I shall add this to my Everyman's Dictionary of Estuarine English :-)
** Phil.

P.S. My grandfather was an Essex man (Maldon), and I'll wager he never said "ding" (in this context) in his life.  But then as domestic microwave ovens didn't exist until after his death, this is hardly surprising !

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Been a busy week so have not had the time to post results of first proper curry using this base.  Anyway, proof of the pudding  is always in the eating which i did once i got back from the pub.  Yum :P.  Not the same as from my regular TA but very good indeed.
Decided against the phall as i wanted to check on the flavour of the curry rather than try and grapple with this through copious amounts of heat -  sensible decision i thought.  So i went for something between madras and vindaloo. Kept the recipe simple to let the base show its worth (or not as the case may be).
Handful of chopped onions fried off with a teaspoon of g/g paste.  Added a tablespoon of tom puree (tinned & diluted).  Then added two heaped ts of chilli powder, one of mix powder, one of salt, half of sugar.  Fried this off with tbs of base, added the base and cooked for a bit and finally added the chicken and warmed it through.  See pics for end result.  Still need to do some work on the saag bahji (noticed absence of a recipe for this on CRO) but the dipuraja mushroom rice was fantastic.
All in all, very pleased with the result.  As good, I've cooked in the past with a lot less hassle and very simple.  Will make again unless someone comes up the "perfect" base.  I will be trying a couple of things to get it closer to my local TA.  Tempted to up the carrot content to add more "sweetness" if that is the right word to describe the taste of my regular TA.  Not sure but will post if i make any earth moving discoveries.

©2024 Curry Recipes