Author Topic: Andhra Chicken using CA base  (Read 8794 times)

Offline reactor

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Andhra Chicken using CA base
« on: March 31, 2013, 10:57 PM »
This is speciality curry from a small region of Andhra Pradesh and has been adapted to the Cory Ander base. This curry has a South Indian taste to it and is definitely worth a try if you can get some fresh curry leaves from your local.

Andrha Chicken Curry (Using CA base)

(serves 1-2)

Ingredients

- 300g skinless chicken breast (chopped into approximately 1 inch cubes)
- 30-50 ml oil (depends how healthy you want to be)
- 1 tsp fresh garlic (pureed)
- 0.5 tsp fresh ginger (pureed)
- few fresh curry leaves (3 or 4)
- 1 tsp tomato paste (diluted to a puree with 3 tsp water)
- 200ml curry base (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3772.0)
- 1 tsp curry masala (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3765.0)
- Andrha masala (roasted and ground - 3 cloves, 1 inch cassia bark, 10 curry leaves, 1/4 tsp fennel seeds)
- 0.5 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 0.25 tsp salt (or to taste)

Method:

- Heat curry base to a gentle simmer
- Heat oil in suitable pan until hot
- Add curry leaves and fry for a few seconds
- Add chicken and fry for a minute, on high heat, with continuous stirring, until sealed (i.e. just white on the outside)
- Add garlic and ginger and fry, for a minute or so, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Remove from heat and add chili powder, curry masala and Andrha masala
- Stir, to coat the chicken, and return to heat
- Immediately add tomato puree, stirring continuously
- Fry for 30 seconds or so, on high heat, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Add half a ladle of curry base and stir
- Continue to add the curry base, a little at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens
- Add salt to taste and stir
- Continue to simmer, on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate (about 5 minutes)
- Serve

Notes:

- When roasting the Andrha masala, add the curry leaves last as they will roast quicker than the others. Do not burn the spices or the curry will taste bitter and wait until cool before grinding. 
- You can use any other decent, mildly spiced, curry base, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other precooked meat - just add it, after adding the first half a ladle of curry base, and make sure it is heated thoroughly

Below is a photo of the Andhra Chicken:

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Andhra Chicken using CA base
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 12:46 AM »
Interesting recipe, for which many thanks.  Unfortunately the image is over-sized, so does not display at its best.  I attach the same image resized to 720px (width) which seems optimal for this forum.

** Phil.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 01:01 AM »
Certainly looks better after the resizing.  One to put on the radar but not too high on the priority list due to its simplicity.  Far to many other more interesting dishes to try first  :P

Offline reactor

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 03:16 AM »
Thanks for resizing. have tried many of the recipes and bases on this site over the years and thought it was about time I submitted a recipe or post instead of just cooking the recipes.

I know it looks simple but it works quite well.  I've tried to get a punch of Regional flavour without adding too much to the BIR method but still tasting similar to the original homestyle cooked version.

I would be interested in someone giving it a try if they get a chance

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 03:28 AM »
It looks great

best, Rich

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 04:04 AM »
That certainly looks like one of CA"s recipes,  ::) Spooky

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 04:56 AM »
That certainly looks like one of CA"s recipes,  ::) Spooky

Certainly does...looks great

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:10 AM »
One to put on the radar but not too high on the priority list due to its simplicity.  Far to many other more interesting dishes to try first  :P

Interesting comment.  For me, simplicity is an aim, not something to be avoided; if I can make a really good curry using a simple recipe, why would I want to go to the trouble of using a complex one unless I can be confident that the results will justify the extra effort ?  It reminded me of something I read in another thread today : 

My Tikka recipe I posted last year is more advanced than this Zaman Chef's

Is "more advanced" really a selling point ?   My aim (and, I suspect, the aim of most of us) is to replicate to the best of our ability the dishes that we have most enjoyed in BIRs; I will be perfectly happy if I can achieve that using simple, less advanced, recipes, and feel no need for complex, more advanced ones if the simpler ones suffice.

** Phil.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 11:31 AM »
I'm all for simplicity Phil but there's nothing in this recipe for me that stands out and says I must try it, compared to many other recipes available on here that i've yet to try like jaipuri, chasni, jaflong, etc etc.  When i've tried those on my immediate radar, in between perfecting others, I may get to round to trying it.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 11:50 AM »
I'm all for simplicity Phil but there's nothing in this recipe for me that stands out and says I must try it, compared to many other recipes available on here that i've yet to try like jaipuri, chasni, jaflong, etc etc.  When i've tried those on my immediate radar, in between perfecting others, I may get to round to trying it.
Fair enough :  if we all liked the same dishes, the forum would be a far less interesting and rich resource.  For myself, I was attracted by the dish's simplicity, and also by the fact that it used a masala of which I had not previously heard, which in turn led me to discover this very interesting-looking mutton dish.

** Phil.

©2024 Curry Recipes