Author Topic: My First Attempt  (Read 8155 times)

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
My First Attempt
« on: September 25, 2006, 08:24 PM »
I have now completed my first ctm using Curry Kings recipe and Ifinfora's base, i marinated the chicken for 48 hours and cooked in a fan assisted oven on about 220oc for about 15 mins until starting to blacken on the edges, when i added this to the masala sauce it looked a bit off putting but it still tasted great, i cannot wait to do another one.
Thanks for the recipes, your comments would be as valuable as ever.

Cheers
Dai.

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
Re: My First Attempt
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 03:30 AM »
Looks fab !  ;)

Offline CurryLover_NZ

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 08:47 AM »
Looks great to me !  I've made this twice now and it really has become a family fave.

I get the black bits too, but they disappear after a long-ish simmer in the sauce. I think it's only the marinade coating and not the meat   :)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 10:59 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the black bits myself but if you wanted you could always try cooking the tikka covered with some foil or maybe cook them on a lower heat.  Personaly I like the charred taste and they are even better barbecued if you can.

cK

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 07:53 PM »
Thank you for the feed back much appreciated, gives you confidence to carry on. I have not tried it as yet, so i will have to let you know if it tingles the taste buds, i am keeping it till Friday night and i am going to have a go at a Pilau rice.

TTFN
Dai >:(

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 03:07 AM »
Hi Dai,

Congratulations Dai, it looks great!  :)

Just a couple of comments/questions regarding chicken.......

• I'm a little wary of marinating chicken for too long.  I usually marinate chicken overnight, or for 24 hours (in the fridge, of course).  For me, 48 hours is the maximum, provided I'm certain that the chicken is really fresh
  • I see that you also plan to keep your chicken tikka masala for 4 days or so before you eat it (presumably in the fridge)?  I'm surprised that you can resist it for so long!  :P  I rarely keep cooked chicken curry for more than a day or so in the fridge.  I prefer to freeze it if I'm not going to eat it immediately, or within a day or so
Maybe I'm being overly cautious with chicken?  What do other people think and do?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 04:14 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline CurryCanuck

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 03:14 AM »
I think that four days is pushing the limit - this will not improve the flavour  but rather tend to break down the fibre of the meat so as to render it a congealed mass with no texture or body  - might as well be eating a pudding .  Any marinade that contains acid, alcohol or salt should not be used for very long, because it will chemically "cook" or denature the food in it. Marinate food in these marinades for less than 4 hours. Marinades that contain citrus juices, especially lemon or lime juice, should be used for only two hours or less. Marinades that contain no salt, acid or alcohol can be marinated overnight or, in some cases, longer.
Although marinades thwart bacterial growth and help extend food's life, remember that the food in them is still raw and must be treated as such.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 03:18 AM by CurryCanuck »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 03:58 AM »
Thanks CurryCanuck,

...some very interesting and informative points that you make about the marinating process  :)

.....I guess I was specifically thinking about the health aspects of storing chicken too long?.......
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 04:35 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Ashes

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 04:24 PM »
Its great so many people are showing off their efforts, i always forget once the foods on the table to take a pic - gg

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 10:09 PM »
Hi

Cory Ander - I should have made myself a bit clearer with my intentions, i did marinate my chicken for 48 hours, i then made my ctm, which is now in the freezer waiting my attention which will be on Friday night, i am going to try a pilau rice by Pete so i will let everyone know if it tasted nice.

CurryCanuck - Thanks for your thoughts, was 48 hours too long, i did not have a real choice as i set it off on Friday night and only had time on Sunday to complete things. I would not have left it any longer than that though, after cooking ctm i froze it as soon as it was cool. I cannot wait for Friday to devour it.

Thanks all for your feed back.
Dai :(

©2024 Curry Recipes