Author Topic: My First Attempt  (Read 8154 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: My First Attempt
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2006, 02:06 AM »
Hi Dai,

Thanks for clarifying that!  :P

....I just wasn't keen to see you risk poisoning yourself!  ;)

....hope you enjoy your meal on Friday!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 02:59 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 09:52 PM »
Hi Everyone

I did my pilau rice on Friday to go with my pilau rice, i followed Pete's method of finishing it off in the oven, as you can see from the picture i had a little problem controlling the food colouring as it came out of the little jar, a bit heavey handed to say the least, apart from that the whole meals was very nice. But as i froze down my ctm i think it definitely took away some of the flavour, but i enjoyed it all the same.

Pilau Rice by Pete's method.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2006, 06:35 AM »
Hi Dai,

If you used powdered food colours, I presume that you dissolved them in a little water before applying them? 

I use liquid food colours for colouring rice (but I use powders for dishes such as tikkas and tandooris).  Although liquid food colours are a little less vibrant than powders, I think they are easier to use and apply when colouring rice. 

I have posted a photo of coloring rice here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1180.msg10342#msg10342

Keep up the good work!  8)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 06:55 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2006, 10:10 AM »
With regard to keeping times for fresh food because of my business I have to comply with the Health & Hygiene and FSA regulations so I would certainly not recommend such long marinade and storage times.  As guide you should think of the whole process time rather than individual bits.  If you are using fresh chicken then 4 days for the whole process  is really your safe maximum.  So you only need to marinade for 4 hours but overnight is better - max 24 hours.  Cook on a high heat to reach a minimum temperature of 80 degrees centigrade very quickly then reduce the heat for the remainder.  You should then cool it down as quickly as possible and put it in the fridge.  Maximum safe chilled storage time  at 8 (preferably 5 degrees) degrees centigrade is three days, then you must freeze or discard it.  If you freeze it you must only store it for 6 months max in a 3 star and you must cook and eat it as soon as it is defrosted

On the subject of defrosting, if you can avoid it, never use a microwave as this changes the flavours and textures.  Let it defrost in the fridge and heat it gently in a covered pan.  Nearly all of my recipes have had to be redesigned so that they can be frozen (because that is the nature of our business), so I shall lob some tips on to the hints & tips topic at some time.

Happy Cooking
C P

Offline Dai Dhansak

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Hi both

Cory Ander - Thank you for the feedback, i did use liquid food colouring straight out of the bottle but i had no control over the way it came out, it came out in big splodges, i will have to find a more refind method for contolling the flow. I think your pictures are ace, and will definitely try out your methods as soon as i can, At the moment i cannot eat my ctm's quick enough to move onto something new but i am beginning to glow a bit red around the gills. :'(

Chilli Prawn - Thank you for your feed back also, should i say unfortunately or fortunately that i am the only curry eater in my household so i have to freeze my curries down. I would prefer not to as i feel that freezing does take something away from the flavour, and you can not beat freshly cooked food.
Could you clarify the temperature, you say 80 degrees centergrade, this seems to be a low heat when the fan oven goes up to 220 degrees or have i got this wrong. Would you not put the chicken in to the oven when it has already reached the hottest it could go, this is how i interpreted the recipe i followed. Don't worry about the six month thing, they will be devoured well before that but i do understand. ;D

Bye for now.
Dai

Offline Chilli Prawn

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2006, 10:52 AM »
Hi both

Cory Ander - Thank you for the feedback, i did use liquid food colouring straight out of the bottle but i had no control over the way it came out, it came out in big splodges, i will have to find a more refind method for contolling the flow. I think your pictures are ace, and will definitely try out your methods as soon as i can, At the moment i cannot eat my ctm's quick enough to move onto something new but i am beginning to glow a bit red around the gills. :'(

Chilli Prawn - Thank you for your feed back also, should i say unfortunately or fortunately that i am the only curry eater in my household so i have to freeze my curries down. I would prefer not to as i feel that freezing does take something away from the flavour, and you can not beat freshly cooked food.
Could you clarify the temperature, you say 80 degrees centergrade, this seems to be a low heat when the fan oven goes up to 220 degrees or have i got this wrong. Would you not put the chicken in to the oven when it has already reached the hottest it could go, this is how i interpreted the recipe i followed. Don't worry about the six month thing, they will be devoured well before that but i do understand. ;D

Bye for now.
Dai

Hi Dai.  Chicken does not  need to be cooked for very long if it is off the bone, 20 mins is probably the max but it depends on the temperature(s) used.  I mentioned 80 degrees C as this is the lowest temp for killing off bacteria.  I realise I made a mistake, the rules are you must at least attain a temp of 80 inside and out for the chicken to ensure that the bacteria is killed off; we have to use a probe.  If your recipe calls for higher temperatures that is OK; I think that sometimes people overcook chicken (and Pork) to be on the safe side.  However, practice and confidence will prevail I am sure.

With regard to powdered food colouring; except for the liquid vegetable colours, not are guaranteed safe, i.e. the Jury is still out.  The majority are from ground minerals!  The reason they are still allowed on the shelves (but I don't think you will find them in family supermarkets) is that the user is warned and therefore should take professional responsibility.  The FSA (Food Standards Agency) keep a close monitor on them and they publish a lot of useful information on their site as well as on other subjects.  We very rarely intentionally use artificial food colourings, except what is in pastes etc.  We do occasionally make rainbow rice for special events etc; red, green, orange, yellow.  Your example is excellent.  We make ours as follows, and you need a steady hand.

These are only approximations, you must experiment; but whatever you do, do not make concentrated amounts and do not use too much. Place a small amount 1/8 teaspoon (less than a pinch)of powdered colouring in a cup or glass pot, and add 1 or 3 tablespoons of warm water (depends on the strength of colour you require).  Stir a leave for a few minutes. 

We put our rice in large rectangular catering trays to dry and cool, so the next bit is easier for us; you will have to devise your own method.  I suggest you put some rice on a separate plate.  Now in a confident stroke let the colour drip on to the rice in one corner of the dish.  Do the same in each corner.  Leave the rice for a few minutes for the colours to infuse, do not mix the rice at this stage.  Then we stir the rice gently, or in your case add the rice back to the pot and stir gently.

As always here is a tip.  Rice is potentially the most lethal product you use.  It contains a nasty enzyme that unleashes itself if you do not cook and store the rice properly (use within 4 hours if left open, or chill and freeze).  Restaurants (BIRs included ) all abide (or should do) by this as it is very easy to track back sources of Ceres (the bacteria) which can be a killer.  I will post more on the tips thread.

Happy cooking
C P

Offline johnboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2006, 01:03 PM »
CP, thanks for the informative post, most of the old hands on here will probably already know this but for newbies like myself it is welcome info. Even though it has frightened the life out of me!

I had no idea that rice can be dangerous. I usually cook a batch and put it in the fridge where it could remain for a week before it is eaten. I always make sure that it is reheated thoroughly but is it ok to keep it in the fridge for this long? If I decide to freeze it can I stick it in the microwave frozen when I need it or do I have to defrost it first?

I try not to freeze my curries or rice, in the past they have taken on a bit of a watery mushy texture when recooked, clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Dai, I too use the liquid food colourings and I agree if you try to use them straight from the bottle they are impossible to control and also the colour is too concentrated. As already mentioned I dilute mine in an egg cup and sprinkle onto the rice with a small spoon. I've found that the rice needs to be reasonably dry though because the wetter it is the more the colouring spreads.
Listen to me I think I'm an expert now  ::)

Any views welcome

John
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 01:11 PM by johnboy »

Offline Jkhoury

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2006, 02:07 PM »
That looks absolutely spectacular, definitely better than any restaurant. Keep it up.  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes