Author Topic: chana dhal/aloo preparation  (Read 10335 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
chana dhal/aloo preparation
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:12 PM »
I should start by saying I don't really like lentils or chick-peas, however, a great friend of mine loves chana aloo and I offered to try and make it. I have read a few tips here and there, so far it comes down to:

- soak chana dhal in water overnight before using
- pre-cook using the standard method: turmeric + salt, boil and simmer for 30mins

I have not seen any BIR recipes for channa aloo so far, so I'm sort of wondering what things would you expect a BIR chef to add to make it less bland? I suppose it's not just about finishing the cooking of the dhal and aloo using a few ladles of base?

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: chana dhal/aloo preparation
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:00 PM »
I've made something like this before but I don't have any set recipe for it, I think I just made it up on the fly as another experimental dish!

I would approach it in the same way as any other BIR style dish, but you'll probably have to experiment with it until you get it right to your taste and/or what you or your friend can remember it tasting like in a restaurant.

I would cook the lentils as you've described but I'd probably also part precook the potatoes in turmeric and a little salt too.

Then you can assemble the dish as you would any other BIR style dish. Heat the oil, pinch of asafoetida, fry for 10 seconds or so, tsp of g/g paste, fry till golden, fry spices, probably mix powder, chilli powder, salt, pinch or so of Garam, ladle of base reduced, perhaps another ladle of base, pinch of fenugreek leaves, perhaps a tsp of tamarind concentrate if you have any, in go potatoes, reduce mixture to coat, perhaps some chopped green chilli's and mix in your lentils. Simmer till potatoes are done, add chopped coriander.

You could make it more complex by adding a tempering to your lentils before you add them. In a tablespoon of oil, fry some coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, couple of whole red chilli's and when fragrant, set aside to cool. Empty into a pestle and mortar and grind to a paste, add and stir this into your lentils before adding to your main dish.

Experiment and have fun!

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:20 PM »
I have never seen this dish but I would probably resort to using a tin of chick peas drained of course, not having to worry about soaking or cooking. Certainly the chana masala I order, the chana does not look pre-cooked in spices in any way.

All you'd have to worry about then is what type of curry sauce you want to make then add pre-cooked potato and the drained chana. I imagine either a bhuna or basic curry would do.

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:26 PM »
I would use the widely available tins of chick peas rather than faff around with the raw pulse.  The method is pretty much how many of the side dishes are prepared with the normal suspects as Spiceyokooko has mentioned.  As for the aloo part, why not pre-cook using the CBM method which i have already mentioned to you.

Here's how the Viceroy Brasserie cook theirs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=finEvrxoigE

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:04 PM »
Hi goncalo!

Don't know about the BIR chef, but I cook dals almost daily for myself. Authentic Chole should contain some sour notes, so you could use amchoor, tamarind, lime juice or even a pinch of Chaat masala. Preferable, some pomegranate seeds. This will also add the colour. People boil their dal with approx. 2 bags of black tea, if they don't have them, but still want to achieve that colour. Some add Sodium bicarbonate. One easy recipe for a homemade "Chana Masala"-spice mix:

2 tbsp. coriander seeds, 1 tsp. cumin seeds, 1/2 tsp. black cardamom seeds, 5 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 4 dried red chilis, 8 black peppercorns

Hope that helps, somehow ,)

Greetings!

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Chole should contain some sour notes, so you could use amchoor, tamarind, lime juice or even a pinch of Chaat masala.

I agree, it needs a souring agent somewhere in there, I like tamarind but as you say any of the others would work equally well.

Good advice Chonk :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Hi goncalo!

Don't know about the BIR chef, but I cook dals almost daily for myself. Authentic Chole should contain some sour notes, so you could use amchoor, tamarind, lime juice or even a pinch of Chaat masala.
Greetings!

Agreed! I used to buy Dal (split yellow) a lot from Deans in South Wimbledon, and the Tamarind was obvious in that. I loved it with a stack of chapatis.  ;D
It was the only place i knew that was guaranteed to be thick. Cant stand runny dal.
Spent many nights eating that and playing carrom.  ;D

The Channa was good too! Trying to think back for a thought taste and there was a more noticable garlic tarka in the chickpeas than the dal. And methi too.

Not sure whether you mean chick peas or split gram Goncalo, I assume the latter?

Cheers, Frank.  :)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 10:04 PM by DalPuri »

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:34 PM »
Hi goncalo!

Don't know about the BIR chef, but I cook dals almost daily for myself. Authentic Chole should contain some sour notes, so you could use amchoor, tamarind, lime juice or even a pinch of Chaat masala.
Greetings!

Agreed! I used to buy Dal (split yellow) a lot from Deans in South Wimbledon, and the Tamarind was obvious in that. I loved it with a stack of chapatis.  ;D
It was the only place i knew that was guaranteed to be thick. Cant stand runny dal.
Spent many nights eating that and playing carrom.  ;D

The Channa was good too! Trying to think back for a thought taste and there was a more noticable garlic tarka in the chickpeas than the dal. And methi too.

Not sure whether you mean chick peas or split gram Goncalo, I assume the latter?

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Thanks, they are split-gram. I started the wrong way around by buying a bag of channa dall from heera without researching first, i.e:

Thanks for the excellent tips so far. What exact reason would you advice me to go for a tin of chickpeas instead of soaking these ones? :)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Its because chickpeas as well as split yellow (lentils) are both called chana/channa.  ::)
Confusing eh.  ;D

I never really thought about it before, but its possible it could be in the spelling. (although as you know from menus and different regions, the spellings cant always be relied upon.)
Chana  = dal (split pea)
Channa = chickpeas.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 02:14 PM by DalPuri »

Offline loveitspicy

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 11:55 PM »
soak for 8 hours or overnight - you will have great results.
As mentioned by spiceyokooko to cook a dish - you will not go too far wrong

best, Rich

©2024 Curry Recipes