Author Topic: Zaman Restaurant Pilau Rice  (Read 5338 times)

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Zaman Restaurant Pilau Rice
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:56 AM »

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Zaman Restaurant Pilau Rice
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Hi NJ

Thanks for posting, I've never seen BIR rice cooked like this before.
I don't suppose you asked them why they use the milk.

curious Chewy

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:03 PM »
I don't remember asking that question, maybe JB or CH did, but I made the assumption that it was for flavour and to help stop the rice sticking together. I will ask next time I'm in there for a meal.

Something which impressed me about all the dishes I saw prepared was there were absolutely no shortcuts, no dumbing down or omitting steps to reduce costs. If they think something will improve the flavour of the food they do it, painstaking as it may be. They are clearly striving for the highest standards, not the lowest costs. That's why I consider this place to be the best in my local area.

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 07:05 PM »
Looks good! 

Just a question. Why do you record in that format and not standard widescreen where you can get more in the shot?

Regards

Barry

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Nice one Chris.  As for the format, that was because NJ was recording video  on his phone Bamble.  I'll be cooking my rice using milk this week, and i'll even go to the lenghts of washing it for a change, just as they do at Zaman's.  The reason for the use of milk, explained to me by the chef was that it helps separate the grains better than just water and it adds additional flavour to the rice.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Looks good! 

Just a question. Why do you record in that format and not standard widescreen where you can get more in the shot?

That's easily answered. Simple incompetence. Next time I will try to remember to hold the phone horizontally but at the time that was the last thing on my mind.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Nice one Chris.  As for the format, that was because NJ was recording video  on his phone Bamble.  I'll be cooking my rice using milk this week, and i'll even go to the lenghts of washing it for a change, just as they do at Zaman's.  The reason for the use of milk, explained to me by the chef was that it helps separate the grains better than just water and it adds additional flavour to the rice.

Any guidance on the proportions of milk to use? I'm just about to make pilau as a prep for a biryani and would love to give it a go :)

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Undercover curry splashes some milk in the rice too.

Offline natterjak

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Goncalo, based on watching the video it looks like the milk and water are roughly equal. At least he first pours milk to just cover the rice, boils till that is absorbed, then repeats with water.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Goncalo, based on watching the video it looks like the milk and water are roughly equal. At least he first pours milk to just cover the rice, boils till that is absorbed, then repeats with water.

Undercover's is only a splash of milk compared to quantity of water.

©2024 Curry Recipes