Author Topic: Cookery Courses  (Read 7111 times)

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Cookery Courses
« on: April 04, 2013, 01:09 PM »
I would like to make this an official thread for announcements of cookery courses. As I discussed here earlier, I'm attending a lesson with Atul Kochhar at the Dublin Cookery School, in Ireland. It's an evening track of 2.5 hours called "The spice trail", the site description is enclosed below. However, lately I've been thinking that I would like to take an actual course with an actual BIR in UK, so if you do know of any offers in this regard, please post it here and try to include any reviews, to help making a safe decision.

The essence of good Indian cooking revolves around the use of spices, not only combining them but drawing out several flavours from a single spice - by roasting, grinding or frying.  This course will show you how to use them in different ways, drawing on recipes from different parts of India.  After a short demonstration we will guide you through each step, before moving into the hands-on area, to ensure you can recreate these dishes at home.

I mailed the school to find out more about this course and I got the information below:

The course will cover spices, how to cook/roast them, meat/fish/vegetarian dishes, how to adjust flavours and will give a good general knowledge of Indian cookery.

Thanks

Offline JamesJeffery

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Cookery Courses
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 01:21 PM »
I've actually been considering doing a course on Indian cookery, but in Birmingham I was never able to find anything.

It would be a great learning experience, and considering I've cooked curries since I was 16 and thoroughly enjoy cooking them I think it'd be a worthy thing to do.

I doubt I'd be looking to make a career shift. I've worked in Software Development for 7 years, so can you imagine putting that on a C.V. lol! But just to know that I have taken a course in something I enjoy would be nice.

If anyone knows any courses in or around Birmingham please do let me know.

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 02:09 PM »
I doubt I'd be looking to make a career shift. I've worked in Software Development for 7 years, so can you imagine putting that on a C.V. lol! But just to know that I have taken a course in something I enjoy would be nice.

I understand that very well myself as I share the same profession too. Coincidence or not, I came across this link last weekend while searching for cookery courses in UK, upon reading the reports from a recent lesson. Worth noticing that, I don't think the bigger benefit will come from visiting these schools with cookery courses where programs are a bit generic and may not exactly fit your expectations. A cookery class from a takeaway (like the one in Zaal or the Zaman of something) is to me more interesting because if you like their food, you can't go wrong with their lesson if they are willing to justify the tuition's expenses.

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 08:00 PM »
The cookery lesson I had from Chris (h4ppy-chris) was all I would ever need, I'm now cooking curries that replicate, and improve on, anything I can buy locally (Sheffield)
it

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2013, 09:22 PM »
I don't think you get to know everything you need to know to cook a great BIR style curry.
Cheers,
Ken
I'm going to buy his pdf, so I hope I will
I hope it's ready soon

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2013, 10:47 PM »
The cookery lesson I had from Chris (h4ppy-chris) was all I would ever need, I'm now cooking curries that replicate, and improve on, anything I can buy locally (Sheffield)
it

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:47 AM »
Goncalo, I'm inclined to side with you BUT Chris has shared multiple recipes and videos on this forum already and continues to do so despite writing the book. If the book really delivers then I'm more than happy to pay for it, writing a book is a lot of work. Even just compiling and testing already done recipes can take months. I do feel, however, that the true key is right before our eyes all along - I'm interested to see whether my hunch about it (I'm thinking along the lines of coooking technique) is right so I'm looking forward to the eBook very much...

Offline goncalo

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:44 AM »
Goncalo, I'm inclined to side with you BUT Chris has shared multiple recipes and videos on this forum already and continues to do so despite writing the book. If the book really delivers then I'm more than happy to pay for it

It's not what he did right that I find is a big` issue with. I'm sure no one benefited from his book marketing tactics on this forum. I am also sure that I will be buying it when it comes out too, even if it turns out to be less than the expectations he is creating, the quest continues. I know I broke this rule somewhat by replying to garabi army, but could we keep this thread for sharing information about any cookery courses (preferably in UK, led by a BIR/TA)

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 06:50 PM »
Before I took up Chris's offer, I got in touch with Adey Payne from Curried Away (Boston, Lincs) I'd heard he was giving lessons so I asked for details, I received a nice reply but I never pursued it because of the cost of travelling. Some of you might be interested so here's the reply he sent me -

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your interest :)

We are currently running the classes on alterate Sunday mornings, however,we are now in a position to fill the vacant Sundays with a new class starting on 10th March. The course covers full insight of BIR secrets, and everything you need to know to recreate the perfect curry at home, just like from your favourite Indian :).

The course is in 3 stages, comprising of 5-6 4 hour lessons per stage. You are not obliged to complete the course if you feel it isn't for you, however we do recommend you at least complete stage 1. Course price is

©2024 Curry Recipes