Author Topic: Good morning  (Read 2092 times)

Offline bluebalti

• Chef
    • View Profile
Good morning
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:55 AM »
Hi everyone, new here, but not new to cooking (still a rank amateur mind) but making my first proper attempt at a curry this weekend. Am going to be looking for a simple but tasty gravy for my first attempt so any recommendations gratefully received.

Cheers in advance!

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Good morning
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Hi bluebalti, welcome to this madhouse.

I haven't been here long enough nor have I tried enough different bases to recommend anything, really, but I'd suggest you try out a proven combination of base gravy, mix powder and recipes to go along with them (that reference these base gravies and mix powders).

That way you should have a good result the first time around and can then experiment more next time if you like. I personally started with Cory Ander's (CA) recipes and the results were/are excellent, if that helps. But there are many other excellent recipes (and many talented cooks/chefs) for just about anything on this forum.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 04:14 PM »
I've never made CA's curry base but there's a lot who have and they get good write-ups consistently. For me the Bruce Edwards (BE) curry base springs to mind. There's also a section (e-book) of his approach to curries which draws from a magazine article that was written for the Curry Club magazine and it is most informative.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 04:36 PM »
I would recommend CA's base and suite of recipes that use it as a very good starting point for anyone new to this style of cooking.

His ingredients and instructions are clear and easy to follow.

I've made his base and a couple of recipes that use it and it's highly recommended.

Offline bluebalti

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 05:43 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a looksee.

Offline Currynoob

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:09 PM »
like yourself i am a rank amature when it comes to curries i used chewytikkas base with Cory Anders (CAs) spice mix and CAs madras recipe and although its the only one i have tried thus far i can highly recommend it as it was a fantastic curry.

good luck let us know how u got on

©2024 Curry Recipes