Author Topic: I went to the cooking lesson  (Read 25119 times)

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: I went to the cooking lesson
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 02:03 PM »
Another question Pete.

During the cooking process did they tip the pan and set light to the oil? If you were to go again to the Bengali, just out of interest, what would your next dish be cook? I think I would have to try the "vindaloo" one of my fave's!
They shake the pan all the time.
There are little bursts of flames as they do this.
And yes, I would like to see a Vindaloo or Madras made

Offline Nessa

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 03:04 PM »
Wow Pete that was absolutely fascinating, thanks for sharing!

Will you make the recipe again and cook the gravy for far longer, brown garlic etc, it would be interesting to see if  that would give it 'the taste'.  I would love to visit there if I lived nearer!

I know what you mean about Sunday curries lacking 'the' flavour. I sometimes go to our local sunday all you can eat buffet, and while the food is nice enough and fresh tasting, it's not like a usual  takeaway, it's more a home-cooked taste and not really anything that I couldn't do myself.  It's still a nice way to spend a couple of hours on a sunday though!

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 04:28 PM »
I have just made the Rhogan Josh that Pete posted and it is great!  I used gravy that was made last Friday and has been in the fridge and also the oil from the top of the gravy.  This curry does not taste homemade and with the addition of some fresh chillies has given it a nice heat.  I must admit that Rhogan Josh is not a dish that I usually have, but, has certainly tantilised my tastebuds today and will probably order in the future.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2005, 06:36 PM »
I have just made the Rhogan Josh that Pete posted and it is great! I used gravy that was made last Friday and has been in the fridge and also the oil from the top of the gravy. This curry does not taste homemade and with the addition of some fresh chillies has given it a nice heat. I must admit that Rhogan Josh is not a dish that I usually have, but, has certainly tantilised my tastebuds today and will probably order in the future.
I'm really pleased that it turned out well.
I ill be cooking it myself at the week end
I would expect that the two pan method of cooking a curry is used a lot.
I've been looking at a menu and seen? Bhuna? described as prepared with "fresh onions,capsicums and tomatoes"
So that would be done in two pans
One for the main ingredient then one for the sauce and extras.
I'd love to go to Bengal Cuisine again, but it cost a small fortune.
I paid ?25 for the course then ?29 travel.
The journey totalled about five hours as well.
I'm really hoping someone else will go from this forum, then post their findings.
Someone must live near London
Let's see a Madras, Vindaloo or whatever!!

Offline merrybaker

• Head Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2005, 08:02 PM »
Great job, Pete!? Not only did you offer a lot information, your first paragraph really captured the feeling of the place.

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Hi Pete, you mention in your piece that they used coconut powder. Is this different from dessicated coconut? If so, where might I get it. (I have tried whizzing up dessicated coconut to a fine powder and it failed miserably.)

Good thread by-the-way.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 05:19 PM »
Hi Pete, you mention in your piece that they used coconut powder. Is this different from dessicated coconut? If so, where might I get it. (I have tried whizzing up dessicated coconut to a fine powder and it failed miserably.)

This is a bit of a mystry.
I have never seen this form of coconut
It wasn't dessicated coconut
It wasn't coconut milk powder
It looks exactly like ground almonds, but white.
You can buy just the insides?of coconuts.
I've seen that in Asian shops.
Maybe they grind that.

Offline Dylan

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 05:43 PM »
Thanks Pete,

I'll try asking my Asian grocer.

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 07:22 PM »
Hi Pete/Dylan,

It is coconut flour.  I have some and use it in place of coconut powder sometimes.  It does have the appearance of ground almonds, but, is white in colour.  You can buy it in any Asian grocers. 

Anyone else booked the Begal yet, or maybe contemplating it possibly in the future?   

Offline grimmo

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 09:51 AM »
Hi,

I'm booked to go on the course at the beggning of March. Meal of choice will be a Chicken Tikka Pathia. I'll report back what I find...

©2024 Curry Recipes