Author Topic: I went to the cooking lesson  (Read 25092 times)

Offline curryqueen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: I went to the cooking lesson
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2005, 05:59 PM »
Hi Pete,

Did you make your Rhogan Josh?  How did it turn out?  I am glad to see that someone has booked to go the the Bengal, perhaps I might book it myself.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2005, 01:09 PM »
Hi Pete,

Did you make your Rhogan Josh? How did it turn out? I am glad to see that someone has booked to go the the Bengal, perhaps I might book it myself.
I couldn't make it last Saturday but I will post the results when I give it a go.
I hope that loads of people go on that cooking course.
It is really difficult to get into takeaway kitchens, so this is a golden opportunity.
I have offered money at several places round me and I think the language problem is the main stumbling block.
They don't seem to understand what you want to do

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2005, 12:07 AM »
Many thanks for pointing out this golden opportunity. I hope to go myself. On their web site, they say it's a group lesson. Was there a kitchen full of visitors at the time of your visit?

Also, how certain are you that the methods shown are the ones used to produce their in-house curries, rather than other recipes or modifications which they may be more inclined to divulge?

Regards
George

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2005, 10:50 AM »
They don't seem to understand what you want to do

Pete

I'm note sure we should let on what we want to do. Perhaps its better to avoid telling them that for years we've been searching for the holy grail, after their trade secrets. I don't mean to open restaurants in competition or anything, but just to do more cooking at home with less need to buy take-aways from them.

Regards
George

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2005, 05:21 PM »
On their web site, they say it's a group lesson. Was there a kitchen full of visitors at the time of your visit?

Also, how certain are you that the methods shown are the ones used to produce their in-house curries, rather than other recipes or modifications which they may be more inclined to divulge?

Regards
George
When I went, it was just me but normally there are three of four people.
I was in a rush to catch trains back home (120 miles away) .This did spoil it a little.
I am 100% certain, the recipes I was shown, are the? methods used by other restaurants
There will be variations between chefs, but these are the basics.
One of the most important things is the evaporation of the curry gravy from the meal
This really concentrates the flavour, and can only be done, by adding a little curry gravy at a time

Offline PACMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2005, 04:16 PM »
Pete

just made your Rogon Josh and it was superb.
i made the base with the addition of 6 radishes and 2 pieces of celery as that is how I was told to do it before.
The base turns out to be a concentrate of yellow puree.

I took two ladels of this and watered this down by about 3/4 to one and let it cook. As it cooks it gains a redness on the top.

I followed the rogan recipe but with tikka chicken and not prawns and it was excellent. totally restaurant like and not homemade.
I cut down on the salt though as I dont like salty food and i thought 2 teaspoons in total looked rather a lot.

Of note I used tomato paste from the indian grocer. you can get a 50ml tin for 20 p and is ideal.
It gives a much better flavour..
I felt this paste was far better than puree and is not as concentrated. It seems to cook in the oil without curdling which I have found with the tubed stuff.

I think the restaurant have shown you the correct method and techniques and the evaporating of the gravy is essential to the flavour.

thanks

paul

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2005, 10:28 AM »
...I cut down on the salt though as I don't like salty food and I thought 2 teaspoons in total looked rather a lot.

With the greatest respect, it seems highly plausible that the restaurants use at least this much salt - our health isn't their greatest concern, any more than all the salt in supermarket foods, starting with bread and butter.

So, by reducing the salt you may never achieve your presumed goal of matching take-away curries. Better to leave it in for test and research purposes, and then modify the recipe later for everyday use. Just add back all the salt when your friends come round for dinner!

Also, if you are (rightly) concerned about all the salt - and ultra high levels of fat, actually - will you never again eat in an Indian restaurant or get a take-away?

Offline PACMAN

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2005, 05:14 PM »
Thanks for your concern.

i cut dont the salt as i used tikka chicken cooked and heavily marinaded with pataks tikka paste and yoghurt.
this is already heavily salted so i cut it down to 1 teaspoon and it was fine.
and an excellent curry infact - just like the restaurant.

you are right salt is a definite requirement along with lots of oil.

i tend to use khyber vegetable ghee which apart from being odourless is 100% cholestrol free and is what they use in the
restaurants by me.

paul

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2005, 10:04 AM »
I have now made both the base sauce and the Rogan Josh I was shown.
Very successful.
These recipes are genuine, and if we can keep getting stuff like this, this site will be amazing.
I bet you all our recipes will get copied and used all over the internet.
We'll probably see a new "e book" on ebay, with all our work in

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2005, 06:58 PM »
I can see it now "Secrets of the in2curry restaurant chefs revealed!". Worth 30 quid of anyones money  ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes