Author Topic: I went to the cooking lesson  (Read 25112 times)

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: I went to the cooking lesson
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2005, 06:30 PM »
Ive just made this Rogan Josh with chicken, I really like the idea of the 2 stage approach.

I didnt use this base (used the 600ml oil one with chick stock, by the way this base sauce with chicken stock cold has the smell of that taste in it). I didnt use curry powder either, I used pataks kashmiri paste instead, my initial tasting says ive overdone it on the spices (I cooked this for 2 so doubled up on the spices which was about 3 desert spoons of the paste).

I have cooked it in advance so havent eaten it yet (of course!  ;D), Ill eat it in a few hours and report back

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2005, 08:02 PM »
It was a very nice curry but I did over spice it, it had that slightly bitter taste that curries can get with pataks if you over do it, my missus said it was superb though!

Served with mango & chilli chutney and a cucumber and mint raita from Madhur Jaffreys ultimate curry bible (a book I highly recommend)

I will try it again without the paste

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2005, 09:11 AM »
I use the pataks pastes for marinades and they are very good.
I find if they go into a curry, they give a gritty texture.
When I use them for the curry gravy this "grit" softens because I leave the gravy a day before using.
I'm doing the "Bengal Cuisine" prawn rhogan josh tonight.
When you cook with two pans, it feels very professional!

Offline Ian J

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2005, 04:09 AM »
What happened to this thread, it seems to contain the holy grail we've searched for but no-one appears to be using this base anymore.

I only found it by accident while searching for a recipe for raita.

I'd be interested to know why this base has lost it's appeal.

Offline pete

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2005, 08:09 AM »
There is nothing wrong with this, or Curry Queens and Grimmo's demo at the same place.
There was disappointment that the base lacked the "taste"
But they all do, unless you use "old oil" tecniques
Perhaps a problem of this site, is that there is too much information
I shall be making this  base again
It was a really enjoyable demo, although a round trip of 240 miles!

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 12:28 PM »
Has anyone tried, this base?  You got to remember this came from a real curry house down brick lane who let you have a lesson for ?20, and it seems sometimes when you look at old threads they start to make more sense now as your experience grows.

This could be one to try if you have not already.

Stew

Offline Yellow Fingers

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 06:17 PM »
Stew thanks for reminding me of that one. It's topical for me because I want to concentrate on bases that are very light in colour, assuming of course that a bright yellow base is allowed by the cr0-curry-chromaticity-gestapo that is.

I've had several madrases which have been a bright orange colour and the sauce is almost see through. It intrigues me how they manage this and yet still produce a full flavour. It's so different from the regular brown curry. So, yes, I'm going to give this one and probably vinda looo's a go next.

Actually I feel guilty for not trying it before now since pete made such efforts to get it posted.

YF

©2024 Curry Recipes