Author Topic: FED UP  (Read 23623 times)

Offline fried

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: FED UP
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2013, 12:24 PM »
If I was a suspicious person, I'd be convinced that 'some' of the 'posters' on this site are the same person trying to up the hit rate for the site.

Anyway its a good place to while away my coffee break since I'm a big fan of surreal comedy.

There are some good recipes too, once in a while someone even cooks something.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2013, 12:34 PM »
SS, unfortunately I'm not sufficiently proficient in English enough to give this statement of yours the reply it truly deserves, but when your reply to me explicitly includes the word "you" then it is directed at me directly indeed and I take that personal.

If that reply is then also, completely unnecessarily, worded in such a way as to provoke someone I take it even more personal. I will go so far as to claim that people whose mother-tongue is English would take it the same way. I'm confident enough about my secondary language skills for that matter. But correct me if you please.

At the risk of getting personal myself I will still say this:
I now understand that there was some trouble with mods over control/power in this forum way before I joined (I had to go digging deep in the archives for that). I also see how people who were involved 'back then' could get enraged about anything that appears to follow a similar pattern from then on, too. However, at the same time it appears that you are now somewhat bitter inside and are what I will call 'overly-protective' and critical for lack of knowing better english words. That may be why your replies are sometimes extremely blunt and negative  - especially lately. However, reactions sich as yours and some other members are a problem. Let me explain.

Scenario:
Imagine a newbie (1 Post) coming on the forum claiming 'I FOUND THE SECRET' (totally made-up example, haha) and you find out there's really nothing new and/or there are even some truly odd ingredients involved, even. You will immediately claim 'bullshit' - we've seen it all before. And, in a way, probably most rightly so! But then again - this is a new member to this community who, possibly, could become a great contributor later on. Even if not, the point of a community is to exchange ideas and grow collectively. It is possible to welcome such a member, thank for the recipe and then point out the similarities and invite the newbie to dig deeper as we provide much more info on this forum and don't see the secret he claims to have found. But that's not the way it works here.

Instead, HE got burned the way I understand you got burned before?! Now, is he willing to risk to be ridiculed again by posting something else (heaven forbid - REVISED instructions) after seeing those words as one of his first replies to a recipe he/she posted?! Likely not. He will likely try and find a 'friendlier' place instead (and no, I don't like RCR).

What about other (hypothetical) people who happened to read the same recipe posted by Newbie and noticed there was an error because they spied on their local TA doing something? Will that person post the correction? I would think a good percentage of individuals would fear to be ridiculed, too. Now what if that tiny detail actually turned out the be the famed "missing 5%"? What if that person held the key to your quest of the perfect Old-School BIR curries in a seemingly minute detail and is now too 'scared' to say anything? That would be unfortunate, I guess?!

By now most members here probably realize that you don't like Patak's pastes (or any pastes for that matter), h4ppy-chris' attitude, or any 'modern' techniques for that matter as you are on your own little special 70's/80's BIR quest. What I don't understand is why you don't simply stay out of these discussions if they make you so mad yet don't contribute to your quest. You appear to be keen to 'help' others understand where they are going 'wrong' and likely truly believe you prevent them from making the big mistake to fall for the 'secrets' lie of yet another author. But do these people really appreciate your help? Especially if they are new to the game? And in which ways do you (and others) point out these mistakes to the Unknowing?

This is the point where forum etiquette comes into the equation. Simple forum etiquette says to be civil as a start. Lately there have been some heated debates but that doesn't mean it's OK to personally insult people (btw - none of this is directed specifically at you anymore) and a whole lot of other things that rallim summed up nicely. And forum etiquette does not automatically prohibit free speech. However, if people are unable the attain proper etiquette then a mod needs to step in and fix things.

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2013, 12:47 PM »
(snipped)

Well said, StoneCut :  I completely agree.
** Phil.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2013, 03:54 PM »
They could go on indefinitely with all the people who are claiming this is the sort of thing that should be curtailed actively joining in. You couldn't make it up!

I agree. It is a rather amusing irony.

©2024 Curry Recipes