Author Topic: Your Favourite Supermarket Curry  (Read 13667 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Your Favourite Supermarket Curry
« on: April 11, 2013, 10:39 PM »
Mixed opinions on this but I'm willing to give another one a try if we can reach a consensus for a particular dish in this thread. It may also prove useful for a handy freezer/microwave lunch/dinner for anyone reading through the forum.  ;)

Please list your current favourite supermarket curry/curries

e.g. Asda chicken madras
      Tesco chicken tikka masala
      Waitrose aloo gobi saag

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favourite Supermarket Curry
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 10:46 PM »
My posts on the Pataks sauce thread were the likely trigger for this thread. I would, of course, agree it's a worthwhile subject. But, the trouble is -  my favourites are no longer available, i.e. Morrisons Chicken Saag and Chicken Dhansak. They appear to have deleted them. So I currently have nothing to put forward.

Other chilled curries, e.g. from M&S, which I enjoyed long ago may have changed or been deleted.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:20 AM »
Sorry, I don't think this has any worth as a subject for a BIR creative forum.
Would be a better idea, if you deleted this George.
I finally agree that this site is going to the dogs ::)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 12:25 AM »
Well if anything Mike, we have a new acronym BSC ?! :o British Supermarket ........ I'll let you fill in the last part ;)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:13 AM »
Please list your current favourite supermarket curry/curries

I don't have any because I don't buy them as I don't think they represent particularly good value for money. I've bought many in the past in blind faith hoping they would improve but they never have. Plus I don't generally like processed supermarket food.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 03:58 AM »
Just out of curiosity, I plan to try out the "Kitchens of India" brand. Looks fancy ;D

Don't know if there is any supermarket curry I'd call a favourite, but I tried the "Dal Makhani" by 'Truly Indian' once or twice a while ago, and it was ok (but too salty for my taste). The "Rajma Masala" by 'MTR' was a huge disappointment, but the "Matar Paneer" by 'Ashoka' was quite decent. I prefer my own dishes after all, but if I'd have to choose, it would be one of those, I guess. (except for that rajma ;P)

edit: Oops - don't know if these qualify as "supermarket curries". They are no home brands or something like that, so - sorry if I missed the point.

Offline Garabi Army

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 06:43 AM »
I used to buy them regularly, ... until CRO (and others  ;) ) pointed me in the right direction  :D
The missus and I used to have a sainsburys 'curry night' on a Friday; 2 x curries, 2 x rice, vegetable curry, onion bhaji, naan breads, and popadums. Now the freezer is stocked with homemade pre cooked stuff I must save around 750 quid a year!

Cheers,
Ken

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 11:47 AM »
I thought this was quite a good thread, certainly not one for deleting. I personally dont believe there is a good supermarket curry out there, but some people do rate them. People are always mentioning supermarket curries on this forum and have done so since the forum began.
I havent tried them all (although i have tried 100's over the years) , so there could well be a good one out there.
Les mentioned a Morrisons Chicken Bhuna. If one or two other members say that bhuna was quite good, then i'm willing to give it a try.  ;)

The supermarkets aren't trying to emulate whats sold on the streets of Mumbai, neither are they giving us a sneak peak into Indian home cookery, they're trying to produce curries that we all know from our local BIR.
So this thread does have some worth in a curry forum.

Cheers, Frank.  :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 11:53 AM »
The supermarkets aren't trying to emulate whats sold on the streets of Mumbai, neither are they giving us a sneak peak into Indian home cookery, they're trying to produce curries that we all know from our local BIR.

I'm not sure that's the case, at all. They don't have enough oil to look like BIR curries, for a start. I see them as the supermarket's attempt to deliver a curry which is both tasty and not too unhealthy.  I think they succeed with SOME dishes within the chilled food ranges.

Offline rallim

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Sorry, I don't think this has any worth as a subject for a BIR creative forum.
Would be a better idea, if you deleted this George.
I finally agree that this site is going to the dogs ::)
Sorry, may as well delete all the other threads not related to "BIR" then? I personally don't care much for supermarket curries! but, one Christmas eve I was finishing the painting of a room in the house before family came up Xmas day, my wife went out to get last minute snacks and whatever from Aada, all the takeaways were closed so she brought in a madras curry and I can tell you I really enjoyed it with a couple of beers from the fridge. Yes not "BIR" but they still have there place...Actually I have tasted worse and binned curries from so called "BIR" takeaways.

©2024 Curry Recipes