Author Topic: My First Base Gravy (CA's)  (Read 7727 times)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: My First Base Gravy (CA's)
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Hard to say what it tasted like because never tasted one before. To me it looked like a rather thick like soup and wasn't sure if I should have added a bit more water to thin it. But decided against it in the end.  :-\

What you've produced looks fine.

I wouldn't worry too much about being slightly over in your quantities I rarely measure things to the precise gram when making base sauce. Neither would I worry about thickness at this stage, you can always thing it slightly when you come to cook with it if you need to. And I wouldn't worry about what it tastes like either, these are base sauces, they will taste like weak onion soup.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Well, finally got round to making my first base sauce using CA's recipe.  :)

The only alterations were:
1. My tomatoes were slightly over CA's 175g
2. Slightly over with the carrot
3. Used 4 large onions, which was the nearest to the recipe weight
4. Green pepper just +/-

I left out the coriander. Simply because I had non

Used CA's spice mix

I got 6 x 300ml which I put 2 x 300ml in containers and 4 food freezer bags which I first chilled then stored in the freezer.

Hard to say what it tasted like because never tasted one before. To me it looked like a rather thick like soup and wasn't sure if I should have added a bit more water to thin it. But decided against it in the end.  :-\

I have (hopefully) posted pics

The first is at the cooking stage using a 6ltr pot
Second, bagged up ready to be chilled and frozen

I had much the same result with this base. Far too thick when following recipe but that is easily remedied by watering right down. I think there are better. CT, C2g etc. not really something to taste as it is just one layer towards the finished curry. Absence of coriander not good though imho.

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 03:48 PM »
Thanks Rubydoo
will check out those other bases. BTW is there no substitute for fresh corriander?

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 04:49 PM »
Thanks Rubydoo
will check out those other bases. BTW is there no substitute for fresh corriander?

Nope.   :D

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 07:37 AM »
I freeze base sauce using zip lock bags as well. cheaper than foil and can fit more into the freezer. Re-useable too.

Offline failsafe

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 08:50 PM »
I freeze base sauce using zip lock bags as well. cheaper than foil and can fit more into the freezer. Re-useable too.

Yeah, vindapoo I find they work out ok for me. Slight problem is that the bags tend to stick together but I've not had one split on me because of that. You can get absolutely loads in your freezer and never run out.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2013, 08:53 PM »

Which ziplock bags do you use?

©2024 Curry Recipes