Author Topic: Pakora variations?  (Read 2166 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Pakora variations?
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Last night I popped in to order a TA and asked Bubba one of the waiters, if he could suggest something that's not on the menu. He's quite good at this and I have enjoyed many a suggestion from him in the past. After explaining that I was looking for a lighter portion rather than a main, rice, bread etc., he suggested the following: Chicken Tikka Pakora starter and Brinjal Aloo Bhaji side.

It suddenly dawned on me that I have never had a pakora and certainly not come across tikka pakora before. In my mind I had pictured small diced up chicken tikka in a batter and deep fried. Concerned as to whether it would survive the journey home Bubba said "don't worry I get Chef to make it extra crispy". "Why not!" I said, and off he went to give Chef the order. I gave thinking as to what going to come out of the kitchen in fear of it being overly deep fried.

On my return home and plating up I was surprised to see normal sized pieces of Chicken Tikka deep fried in a commercial bread crumb (the sort you might find on a fish finger). I didn't know what to make of it and continued to spoon out (rather turn foil dish upside down over plate and dollop) the brinjal aloo bhaji on the plate. Off I went to the living room, plate and glass of beer in hand.

What can I say, the Chicken Tikka Pakora was fantastic. The chicken was really moist and the bread crumb a delight, it was certainly alot different to what I had envisaged. The flavour was also extremely good aided by the sensation of the crumb. In my mind, I have concluded that this was made simply from raw marinated chicken tikka which was then rolled in the a breadcrumb which may or may not have seasoned or spiced and then deep fried.

So my question is, has anyone else ever experienced something similar to this?

Offline Naga

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Pakora variations?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:02 PM »
Sounds a bit like an Indian take on a chicken nugget - but with much improved flavour and succulence!

I might just have a go at this with some Panko breadcrumbs. 8)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:18 PM »
Sounds nice Axe and not too dissimilar to my Naga Balls idea with the crumb coating.(thought of it before i saw this pic)
There's a chippy in Waterford that offer 2 versions of their rissoles, one is battered, one is crumbed. Both delicious! (cooked in dripping) :P

Saw this pic on a menu the other night but couldnt work out what the breaded balls were.  :-\

p.s. Mutton Rolls and Fish Cutlets (Sri Lankan) are the only things i've ever come across having been breaded.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 03:47 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 03:06 PM »
I've sent a text to Ali who is going to ask his brother how he made them. If I get a recipe i'll post it on here. Fingers crossed. :)

Offline bamble1976

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Hi

Never had pakora with breadcrumbs as usually made with a gram flour based batter where i have had it from. The chicken is tikka goujon style.  one of my faves!

Barry

Offline vindapoo

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 01:44 PM »
Hi

Never had pakora with breadcrumbs as usually made with a gram flour based batter where i have had it from. The chicken is tikka goujon style.  one of my faves!

Barry

same. I'll make a captain Birdseye style breaded version next time to try.

©2024 Curry Recipes