Author Topic: "Go away, you stink of garlic"  (Read 9225 times)

Offline stevepaul

• Chef
    • View Profile
"Go away, you stink of garlic"
« on: April 23, 2013, 08:29 AM »
Anyone remember being told this back in the late 70's early 80's the night after having a curry? I certainly do. In fact, you could smell it yourself at times. Therefore I ask where has that "day after" aroma gone. Why do work mates no-longer tell you to "go away you stink of curry.

We all know that cooking garlic for even a short amount of time reduces this lingering after effect that so many people used to complain about. Even the Bradford base that calls for 15 cloves of garlic doesn't create this day after smell. Neither when I have used a full tube of garlic in a base does it occur, either, so therefore, where has it gone to. It has to have vanished for some reason. Either that or people have become more polite.

Now, I am wondering if they actually cooked the garlic in the 70's/80's the way we do today. Perhaps they just added it directly into the curry when they were cooking the final dish. By that I mean no frying it off prior to adding the base. Obviously I have no evidence of this, but it does make me think. This garlic/curry smell that seemed to leak out of your pores the day after has been lost, so I can only presume it's down to the cooking method.

Anyway, I intend to try and recreate this lingering after effect that was so prevalent in the early days of BIR curries. I'm going to try and keep things simple for my first attempt. Basically making an onion gravy/base, with minimum or nothing added until it comes to making up the final curry. It may well turn out to be disastrous, but an interesting disaster if nothing else. Anyone else have thoughts on this. Good, or bad, I don't mind. And who else remembers being told "go away, you stink of curry"     

I'll report back on my efforts.

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: "Go away, you stink of garlic"
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:36 AM »
i just think that more ppl now days eat garlic and spiced food and dont notice the smell on your breath ( Ivan ) :D

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 10:39 AM »
I'm not sure if anything's changed in the way that BIRs use garlic, or indeed how I smell after a restaurant/takeaway meal - but that's because for the last three or so decades the wonderful aroma of garlic has been seeping out of my pores every day.

Thanks mainly to my persistent efforts in the BIR cooking arena, I'm constantly getting the "FFS! Have you been eating garlic?" comments from people around me at work/pub/general social events, etc., which I find quite reassuring as it tells me that I'm probably consuming enough to reap the significant health benefits.

It's not just from the massive quantities consumed via quotidian curry consumption, either. As a lover of other garlic heavy food cultures (Spanish, Italian, French, etc., etc), it's rare for a mealtime (other than breakfast. Usually) not to include a healthy dose.

Anyway, good luck with your first attempt, chef888, and do let us know how you get on.

And remember to go heavy on the garlic!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 08:58 PM by Salvador Dhali »

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:03 PM »
i just think that more ppl now days eat garlic and spiced food and dont notice the smell on your breath ( Ivan ) :D

I also believe this is the reason.  ;)

Offline Gav Iscon

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 12:06 PM »

I also believe this is the reason.  ;)

To true. Back in the day it was either curry or italian which had you honking the next day. No one seems to notice it now.

Offline chonk

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Mh, I should smell like a curry on two feet, but never got any complaints. People are too polite ;P But I do cook vedic regularly, so half of the time, I don't eat garlic at all.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Anyone else have thoughts on this. Good, or bad, I don't mind.

It was always my understanding (and I don't know how true this is or where it came from) that smell generally comes from eating dried garlic rather than fresh. Perhaps the difference now is, less dried ground garlic is used in dishes with fresh being preferred?

We rarely see dried ground garlic being used in mix powders whereas most of us will use pureed fresh garlic at the start of a dish.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 04:00 PM »
Anyone else have thoughts on this. Good, or bad, I don't mind.

It was always my understanding (and I don't know how true this is or where it came from) that smell generally comes from eating dried garlic rather than fresh. Perhaps the difference now is, less dried ground garlic is used in dishes with fresh being preferred?

We rarely see dried ground garlic being used in mix powders whereas most of us will use pureed fresh garlic at the start of a dish.

Possible, but i remember when i first went over to Denmark on the boats many many years ago with a band and one guy always used to fill his salad bowl with about 70% garlic!   :o
And he Stank for days into a tour!  ;D

Maybe they just put less in than they used to? I mean, 1 tsp...Really??  :-\  (half tsp if using g/g)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:46 PM by DalPuri »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 04:03 PM »
Anyone remember being told this back in the late 70's early 80's the night after having a curry?

I think you could be on to something and that it's worth checking out, as you suggest. What a good idea!

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 09:39 PM »
hi chef add a liberal sprinkle of garlic powder after the last base ladle and you should end up getting the sicky garlic burps and omg 2mora if you dont get the comments i will eat a korma! pmsl its the only curry that i just cook if you know what i mean with the exceptions of curry contaminated with fruit ( other than chillies and tomatoes that is) ;)
regards
gary

©2024 Curry Recipes