Author Topic: Quick Soup Base  (Read 10752 times)

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Quick Soup Base
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:55 PM »
I had to cook 2 large curries for a party tonight, but didn't have any base left. I have wanted to try a soup based quick base for some time, wondering what the results would be like, so this was the chance I had to do that.

Nipped to Tesco and checked on what was in the tins/cartons of soup. I had previously read that onion soup is good to add, then I also though I would add a mixed veg soup, along with carrot and coriander.

The photos show the ones I chose.

Recipe -

Should make about 2-2.5 litres

4 tbs oil
2 x finely chopped onion
1/4 finely chopped green pepper
(optional) 4 off cardamon, 2 off bay, 1 star anis, 50mm cinnamon
5 tsp garlic/ginger paste
1 tsp mild madras
2 tsp mixed powder
1/2 tsp salt 
1 x Baxters French Onion Soup
1 x Heinz Farmers Market Seven Veg Soup
1 x Carrot and Coriander soup
1/2 large tin (200g) of chopped tomatoes/passata
4 tbs tomato puree
30g fresh chopped coriander
20g creamed coconut block
Approx 300-400ml of water

Add oil in saucepan and heat
Add onion/pepper and (optional) hard spices and fry until soft
Add garlic paste, mild madras, mixed spice, salt and cook for 1 or 2 mins
Add soups, chopped tomato/passata, coriander and bring to boil
Add coconut block, then simmer for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally to stop sticking
Take off heat and cool a little, remove hard spices
Hand blend until smooth
Add water if too thick

Image hosting by CR0.co.uk
Soups chosen

Base before blending

Base after blending

I made two very large curries with this, and had loads left over, which I have frozen.

The results were, unexpectedly, very, very good. In fact, I think the curries I made were as good as using a full blown base, don't think I could tell the difference if the two were to be put in front of me. I think it's a very good way to make a quality base, very quickly. Not saying that this should replace your normal base, but it an option to have available when in a rush.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Quick Soup Base
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 07:31 PM »
This sounds like a "curry first aid kit"  ;D  "In case of emergency,break glass".  A very useful report and definitely worth comparison again a full blown base.  Nice work meggeth

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 07:38 PM »
This sounds like a "curry first aid kit"  ;D  "In case of emergency,break glass".  A very useful report and definitely worth comparison again a full blown base.  Nice work meggeth

Hear hear !
** Phil.

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 08:48 PM »
Nice idea and casts a little doubt on the necessity of doing what we mostly accept as a full base. That said is this not bordering on the Glasgow stuff in that it is more of a finished sauce than a base? As I type , I think it is but the OP correctly identifies it as a quick fix rather than the answer to the universe etc.

I like it and the manner in which it has been 'posted' .. Well done.  8)

Offline acrabat

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 09:36 PM »
The onion soup is interesting, I came across a recipe on the web a few years ago suggested using this for a quick base. I bought the onion soup to try it but never got round to it. I lost the website url a long time ago. I wonder if you saw it the same place I did?

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Very ingenious and intriguing indeed!  8)
I intend to try this at some point, I have still to perfect my base's, as yet I am not really consistant with the results so I have nothing to lose... Great idea.  :)

Offline meggeth

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 10:43 PM »
The onion soup is interesting, I came across a recipe on the web a few years ago suggested using this for a quick base. I bought the onion soup to try it but never got round to it. I lost the website url a long time ago. I wonder if you saw it the same place I did?

Hi Acrabat,was it this off the cook4one site?

http://www.cook4one.co.uk/c2/bases/c41qbase.html

I thought that adding the fried onions and the veg/carrot soup would make it more like a base that we all normally make.

Just to report that the people at the party who had the curries (butter chicken and veg jalfrezi) said that they were as good as restaurant meals. All went very quickly!

Ruby, the base is probably more "finished", yes. But it probably represents my normal base which is quite "finished". A more "base"base could be made, I'm sure, by removing the hard spices, coconut, coriander, etc.

Would be interesting to try just the soups, tomato with spices blended as a base. Now that would be quick!

Maybe I'll try that next time.....

Offline RubyDoo

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 10:48 PM »

Hi Acrabat,was it this off the cook4one site?

http://www.cook4one.co.uk/c2/bases/c41qbase.html

I thought that adding the fried onions and the veg/carrot soup would make it more like a base that we all normally make.

Just to report that the people at the party who had the curries (butter chicken and veg jalfrezi) said that they were as good as restaurant meals. All went very quickly!

Ruby, the base is probably more "finished", yes. But it probably represents my normal base which is quite "finished". A more "base"base could be made, I'm sure, by removing the hard spices, coconut, coriander, etc.

Would be interesting to try just the soups, tomato with spices blended as a base. Now that would be quick!

Maybe I'll try that next time.....

Spot on.. Take the other stuff out and do it with soup.  Awaiting the report.  ;). Nice to see peeps trying this stuff AND sharing it..    You never know.  This may end up in some other bugg e er s ebook if it ever appears.  ;)

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 11:32 PM »
You might as well buy some Pataks ready made sauces and jazz them up Garabi style.
Probably go well with some Uncle Bens 8) ;D

Offline chef888

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 04:03 PM »
that base looks spot on mate well done for having a crack at I'm sure i,ll be giving that ago some time ( Ivan )  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes