Author Topic: Basaar spice mix  (Read 4152 times)

Offline johnboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Basaar spice mix
« on: September 28, 2006, 01:05 PM »
Thre's been a few mentions of Basaar spice mix and I'm keen to try it in place of chilli powder. Unfortunately can't buy it in any of the shops near me and can't seem to find it on the net.
Does anyone know if it can be bought online please?

JB

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: Basaar spice mix
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 02:27 PM »
Hi Johnboy,

I have tried the Basaar Mix before and wouldn't say you can use it as a replacement for chili powder?  It is comparable to a strong flavoured curry powder containing quite a few spices.  If you use it instead of chili powder it will completely change the flavour your final curry and in my opinion, for the worse.

cK

Offline johnboy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 02:58 PM »
Thanks for that CK, I'll bear it in mind. Quite new to all this so much experimenting to be done.

Do you know if I can buy bassar mix online?

JB

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 03:18 PM »
I'm not sure to be honest, another member, Ray Graham, sent me some a while ago as he bought a big packet of the stuff.  If I remember correctly I think he got it from his local asian food emporium.

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 11:35 AM »
Hi,

Yes, that was me and I still have a load of Basaar Mix left. If you want to P.M. me I can arrange posting some on. It's true to say it isn't a replacement for Chillie Powder but when I have used it there isn't any need too use Chillie Powder as this stuff is like TNT!!

I got mine at a large Asian grocers in Bradford but many shops around me sell it. I would think it is a bit hard to get on line as it is mainly used by Asians in their home cooking and they buy it locally.

Regards

Ray Graham

©2024 Curry Recipes