Author Topic: Forum trip to the Manchester Curry Mile?  (Read 13255 times)

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Forum trip to the Manchester Curry Mile?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 07:11 PM »
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone even for 77p, but it does list most of the BIR's along the curry mile and gives a "kind of" review.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tips-CURRY-HOUSES-Manchester-ebook/dp/B0061E13UK/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

I can try and add it to dropbox later, but have to go out now.

Cheers, Frank.  :)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 01:54 AM by DalPuri »

Offline sp

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 09:34 PM »
I'm in NE Scotland - I'm a "maybe".

Could be a possibility for me too being in the same area  :)

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 10:08 PM »
sp whereabouts are you - Dundee here

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 09:33 AM »
The Alchemist,

i'm not far away. i quite like a walk through when i'm near.

do you know the restaurants - i ask as i've stopped going a good few years ago having been mainly disappointed. i know there are top notch places there but find them has been near on impossible without word of mouth knowledge.

getting some kind of demo/liaison with a restaurant would certainly push me in favour.

I think Julian mentions either in his book or in one of his many videos a restaurant that he really likes from the curry mile. I had a quick glance on the book and couldn't find mentions to the exact restaurant.

However, tripadvisor is generally a good benchmark:
http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurants-g187069-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

I seem to remember in one of his videos he mentions a place called Kabanas...

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 02:30 PM »
I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone even for 77p, but it does list most of the BIR's along the curry mile and gives a "kind of" review.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/tips-CURRY-HOUSES-Manchester-ebook/dp/B0061E13UK/ref=tmm_kin_title_0

I'm retracting my earlier statement which was a bit unfair. I hadn't really looked through the book properly a few months ago when i first got it and mustve happened upon the worst pages on a brief flick through.
I had another read last night and for anyone needing a good/bad tour guide of Manchester curry houses, this book is a good buy at 77p  ;) (half of the reviews are quite a few years old now, 10 year span)

I tried and searched for hours for ways to get the file uploaded for members, but as it was delivered by whispernet, i dont actually have the physical file.  ::) Sorry about that.

Top curry houses
Rank
1 Akbar
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 04:21 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Alchemist

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 05:49 PM »

I'm retracting my earlier statement which was a bit unfair. I hadn't really looked through the book properly a few months ago when i first got it and mustve happened upon the worst pages on a brief flick through.
I had another read last night and for anyone needing a good/bad tour guide of Manchester curry houses, this book is a good buy at 77p  ;) (half of the reviews are quite a few years old now, 10 year span)

I tried and searched for hours for ways to get the file uploaded for members, but as it was delivered by whispernet, i dont actually have the physical file.  ::) Sorry about that.

Top curry houses
Rank
1 Akbar

Offline Aussie Mick

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 05:04 AM »
The Alchemist,

i'm not far away. i quite like a walk through when i'm near.

do you know the restaurants - i ask as i've stopped going a good few years ago having been mainly disappointed. i know there are top notch places there but find them has been near on impossible without word of mouth knowledge.

getting some kind of demo/liaison with a restaurant would certainly push me in favour.

Same here Jerry.

I was always disappointed with the standard of curries along the curry mile, BUT I ate some of the best tandoori food I have ever had. Bearing in mind I left UK in 1996, my favourite eateries were:

Shere Khan (best seekh kebab and lamb chops I have EVER tasted,

Tandoori Kitchen, (Seekh kebab sandwiches made right before your eyes) no longer trading

ShahenShah

Shazam.

Apparently, according to family and friends there is a "new" curry mile that is better, cheaper and getting more and more popular and is in Longsight, along the A6 (Stockport Rd) near the big Asda.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 09:59 AM »
DalPuri, you can install the Kindle app on your PC, link it to your account and download the book from Amazon's cloud. Then you could install "Calibre" and a plugin to remove the DRM:
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2013/01/25/how-to-remove-drm-from-kindle-ebooks-in-4-easy-steps/

A bit cumbersome, so just for your info (I always strip DRM and convert to other formats right after buying a book, I don't like restricted files).

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 10:09 AM »
The Kabana Julian mentions is a Pakistani cafe in the Northern Quarter. I went there last year.  Cheap and cheerful. No proper menu as such. Just chicken/lamb curry type stuff, on or off the bone, I think done in a pressure cooker.  They have a wicked sheek kebab recipe, but unfortunately ruin it in the microwave. Seems to be a very popular place though.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187069-d1316745-Reviews-Kabana-Manchester_Greater_Manchester_England.html

I'm up for the forum meet-up.  Have a friend who lives in Didsbury who likes his curry and can try to find out if he knows anywhere to go/avoid.  Always felt the Darbar on Wilmslow Road was the best, but that was back in the 90's. Rusholme used to extremely variable quality wise back then.  At one point we used to have starters in one place, then pay up and go to another place for the main course.

Rob  :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 06:03 PM »
Aussie Mick,

i often shop in longsight (there's a decent computer shop there too) - it's more vibrant for me than the curry mile down to having a market. the parking is easier too.

i'm not sure the restaurants are any different - they seem more cafe originated.

for what's it's worth and i can't believe it actually hold good but i've never had bad curry on the RHS of the street as you go away from manchester. all the duffers were on the LHS. this is the view of a brummie though who's a long way from home.

©2024 Curry Recipes