Author Topic: Tonights Dinner  (Read 9459 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tonights Dinner
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 10:42 AM »
I'm glad you said apples. :)
 I couldn't tell for sure and hoped they weren't roasted onions. Cant stand the taste of a roasted onion. :-X
All looks delicious by the way.  ;D

We often roast pears instead but had quite a few Cox apples left over and wanted to use them up. Tried Granny Smith once, never again, they don't roast well at all, trust me.

I know what you mean about roasted onions, I have rarely had good results. Stuffed or otherwise, I can't seem to get rid of that boiled/steamed taste. Onions are best cooked in oil, or left raw.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 04:47 PM »
I mostly use the powdered version as an ingredient in cooking. When i've made it up as mustard, i've thought it quite lacking and certainly not as hot.

How strange, I find the opposite.

The freshly made up mustard from powder/flour is an altogether different beast entirely from the yucky processed turmeric coloured rubbish they put in the jars. I also find the freshly made to be infinitely hotter than the stuff from the jar.

It's important to let the freshly made stand for 10-15 minutes before eating by the way.

I always make mustard up fresh from powder, I never use the stuff in the jars unless I'm out and don't have any other choice but I much prefer the freshly made.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 05:32 PM »
It's important to let the freshly made stand for 10-15 minutes before eating by the way.

Could this be the reason I wonder, I tasted immediately upon making. I have to admit that I have only ever made it up once as a mustard and that was for use as an ingredient. I am puzzled as to why my experience was so different.

I shall make some up tonight when I get home and let it sit before trying it. I will report back. :)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Could this be the reason I wonder, I tasted immediately upon making. I have to admit that I have only ever made it up once as a mustard and that was for use as an ingredient. I am puzzled as to why my experience was so different.

It may well be, which is why I mentioned you needed to let it rest first. This is when the flavour and pungency develops.

Just wait till you get that sinus blast from freshly made up English Mustard! I'm almost prepared to guarantee you'll find it much hotter.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Just wait till you get that sinus blast from freshly made up English Mustard! I'm almost prepared to guarantee you'll find it much hotter.

Well what do you know, that made for a much hotter mix! I can't believe I hadn't noticed the instructions on the side and i'm the one that ridicules the wife for such errors!

It's a much paler mixture but the heat and pungency is definitely there. I'm leaving it in the fridge overnight to see if that slightly granular texture disappears.

:)

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 03:57 PM »
It's a much paler mixture but the heat and pungency is definitely there. I'm leaving it in the fridge overnight to see if that slightly granular texture disappears.

It's much paler, probably because it's not full of yellowing turmeric! It shouldn't really have a granular texture it should be quite smooth. Best to start out with a couple of drops of water, mix, few more drops mix etc until you end up with a nice smooth mixture.

Freshly made mustard also goes off quite quickly and loses its pungency after a couple of days. You can tell when this happens as it starts to darken.

I'm pleased you've seen the light and now know that freshly made mustard packs a much bigger wallop than the icky jar stuff!

As I said previously, in my opinion, jar mustard and freshly made from powder are two altogether quite different things.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 05:06 PM »
They are different animals entirely!

You'll be pleased to hear that initial granular texture when first made had completely disappeared overnight, leaving a texture not to dissimilar to the jar version. The mustard still very much packing a punch.

I shall try the mustard again when I get home later to see if there has been any noticeable change. It has been refrigerated since being made, in a sealed container.

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 05:20 PM »
The mustard still very much packing a punch.

Good stuff, can't beat a smear of that on a nice ham sandwich or pork pie!

It's a shame all the old ways of doing things are dying out and giving way to processed convenience. I was told and taught from a young age to make mustard fresh from powder and to make mint sauce fresh from finely chopped mint leaves from the garden, touch of sugar and salt, some vinegar and left to infuse for 20 minutes or so. Lovely with roast lamb!

I'd probably make fresh horseradish if I could find an easy supply of horseradishes. Now that stuff freshly made really does pack a punch!

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 12:41 AM »

I'd probably make fresh horseradish if I could find an easy supply of horseradishes. Now that stuff freshly made really does pack a punch!

You can say that again!  ;D
I've made it many times and a few of those times, i've told a friend to put their nose in and have a smell.  :P :P ;D Evil, but funny. (never stand over the blender when making it ;) )

Take a trip down to ANY allotment Spicey and you'll always find some horseradish.  ;)
Make sure you take a Good fork with you too!! It goes very deep and is a bugger to get out.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 01:09 AM by DalPuri »

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 10:31 AM »
I checked the mustard last night and it does appear to be getting darker in colour though I could be that I was looking for that. I did notice a little separation of what looks like water, at one side of the pot, but not alot. Taste tested again and the mustard is still delivering.

I think my next step will be making up my own blend of mustard and condiments using the mustard powder. :)

I love horseradish too, it is my preferred condiment with roast beef. I have never made it fresh but have certainly enjoyed it in restaurants. It's easy to grow I am told so I might have a go, I am fed up with the lack lustre commercial products available. I just can't seem to find a really good hot horseradish sauce anywhere.

©2024 Curry Recipes