Author Topic: Tonights Dinner  (Read 9458 times)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Tonights Dinner
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 11:16 AM »
I just can't seem to find a really good hot horseradish sauce anywhere.

I don't think you should be looking for ready-made horseradish sauce, Malc.  I buy my horseradish in small jars as "grated horseradish", and add that to the mustard powder when making fresh mustard for beef.  No need to source fresh horseradish as far as I am concerned :  the pre-grated (but not pre-mixed with mayonnaise or whatever) stuff in jars seems to be perfect.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 11:26 AM »
I'll have to look out for that Phil. Got a brilliant foodie event taking place in Hove this bank holiday weekend. Gennaro Contaldo and other pro chefs are providing demo's, taste testing and much more along with local farm shops and farmers markets. Should be good for sourcing such things. :)

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2013, 11:50 AM »
I'll have to look out for that Phil. Got a brilliant foodie event taking place in Hove this bank holiday weekend. Gennaro Contaldo and other pro chefs are providing demo's, taste testing and much more along with local farm shops and farmers markets. Should be good for sourcing such things. :)

Sounds excellent, and you will probably be able to find whole horseradish root there without needing to search out the grated stuff, but if that fails then two that I can recommend are

1) http://www.farmhouseproducts.co.uk/product.php?productid=16217
2) http://www.englishprovender.com/product/17/grated-hot-horseradish

As far as I know, the first is 100% pure while the second has preservatives and spirit vinegar, but even the latter is so much better than the pre-made bottled horseradish sauces that it is well worth considering.

** Phil.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Thanks Phil, i'll take a look. The English Provender products I have tried before and they aren't too bad at all.

©2024 Curry Recipes