Author Topic: Chicken shatkora bhuna  (Read 27900 times)

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Chicken shatkora bhuna
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:31 AM »
Here's a few pics of a staff curry I made similar to that made at my local TA. 

Just before adding 1 kg of chicken leg/thigh on-the-bone

After 45 mins

90 mins (nearly ready)

Very tasty

Typically this would be served with plain boiled rice and eaten with your fingers.

Rob  :)

Offline chewytikka

• View Profile
Re: Chicken shatkora bhuna
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:56 AM »
Looks very good Bob. 8)
I make this regularly, usually with the addition of Uri (Green Beans)

Few questions.
Did you use any Garabi?
Did you chop the Shatkora small or just sliced.?
What kind of Potatoes did you use?

cheers Chewy

Offline Tommy Timebomb

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:11 AM »
Looks the business Rob,
It has made me want to give this a try maybe today. Is this similar to Ifindforu's Staff curry?
After viewing this post I have been trying to read up on staff curry but after getting to page 3 of 13 of Ifindforu's and the slight adjustments people were making to it my mind just went into overload!

If you do not have the recipe for this yet on here can anyone please tell me if there was a finale outcome to the 13 page IFFU one, or or was the First initial posting of it with the added potato he forgot to metion to begin with what I should go for... IE was it amended to a final dish?
                                                                        Tom

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Looks very good Bob. 8)
I make this regularly, usually with the addition of Uri (Green Beans)

Few questions.
Did you use any Garabi?
Did you chop the Shatkora small or just sliced.?

cheers Chewy

Hi Chewy.  No garabi.  The shatkora was chopped up small.  Red potatoes (Rosetta I think).  Must check what variety the TA uses. They only use red spuds though.  Quite pleased with the outcome, although the chef's version tasted more spicy and better.  I used quite a bit more oil than him so not to mess up the baghar.  I think I'll add more panch phoran and green chilli next time.

Offline Kashmiri Bob

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:47 AM »
Looks the business Rob,
It has made me want to give this a try maybe today. Is this similar to Ifindforu's Staff curry?
After viewing this post I have been trying to read up on staff curry but after getting to page 3 of 13 of Ifindforu's and the slight adjustments people were making to it my mind just went into overload!

If you do not have the recipe for this yet on here can anyone please tell me if there was a finale outcome to the 13 page IFFU one, or or was the First initial posting of it with the added potato he forgot to metion to begin with what I should go for... IE was it amended to a final dish?
                                                                        Tom

I'll put a recipe together Tom.  It is on the same lines as Ifindforu's staff (Handi) recipe.  I also got a bit lost reading the thread to, and the one associated with it.  It's difficult to see the wood for the trees. But I believe also therein lies the real secrets to BIR cooking.  The cooking technique "Baghar" for example (which relates to frying ginger/garlic paste in very hot oil with whole and powdered spices) is considered by many as the gold standard for top quality dishes, in the best Bengali kitchens. The link between handi style and BIR cooking.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 04:23 PM »
Did you use any Garabi?

Assuming that 'Garabi' is the transliteration for a Bangladeshi/Indian word and potato is an English word, why do you mix two different languages in one brief post? I thought English was the language of this forum. Why not say 'base gravy'?

I blame CBM for being largely responsible for the introduction of that daft, irritating word.

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:38 PM »
George: Let's translate all the curry dishes, too, then. Replace all mentions of "Aloo" with "Potato", for example. And "Dal", "Masala" and so on.

If "Garabi" is what Bangladeshi cooks call this gravy then so be it, IMHO.

I presume you never eat "Pommes Dauphinois" or a "Schnitzel" or even "Coq au vin" - or do you translate those, too?

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:50 PM »
But, SC, If a Bangladeshi were to write it down, they would write Gravy.

The Spanish dont spell their famous cured sausage choritho, neither is there a country in south america called Benethuela.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:33 PM by DalPuri »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 08:07 PM »
Assuming that 'Garabi' is the transliteration for a Bangladeshi/Indian word

It's not a transliteration George it's a (Bangladeshi?) chef's best effort at pronouncing the word "gravy" - and the mangled version seems to have stuck, despite the fact that there are some very eloquent speakers of English in BIR kitchens these days. I agree entirely about it being a stupid and unnecessary addition to our BIR vocabulary, but no more stupid perhaps than those who insist on calling something that totally lacks meat juices a gravy!

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:14 PM »
I agree entirely about it being a stupid and unnecessary addition to our BIR vocabulary, but no more stupid perhaps than those who insist on calling something that totally lacks meat juices a gravy!

And no more stupid than those people who insist on calling Cassia bark or Dalchini as faux Cinnamon!

::)

©2024 Curry Recipes